Does Anyone Use A Mac Mini?

lyne0005

I'm starting a design program in the fall, and need to get a new computer powerful enough to run CA.

I prefer a Mac, but I'd also like to spend less than $1500, so the Powerbook is a bit out of my price range.  Has anyone has success using a Mac mini?  

Here are the specs for the most powerful mini:

2.8GHz Mac mini

Specifications

Thanks!

Erin

I have a Mac-Mini (Mid-2011) with 8 gb ram and 2.3 ghz i5. It work fine. However, the upgrade to Yosemite slowed it down a lot. Your graphics card may be the weak link if your models get complex. I assume you will have a screen where ever you go if you intend this to be mobile?

Most of our support team uses Mac Minis. They are reasonably powerful, especially the newer ones. Our goal since releasing X6 on the Mac is to support all Mac hardware. So far we seem to be doing OK, but there have been a few glitches with certain graphics drivers that have taken us some time to work around. I use an older MacBook Air from time to time which is a lot less powerful than the latest crop of Mac Minis. It performs well but I wouldn't want to do production work on it due to the small screen.

For most simple designs this should be fairly adequate. Even the most powerful hardware can be less than adequate for very complex models. You may find that for more complex designs that you will need to wait a bit longer for results, but for a budget concious person the mini is a good option.

If you are doing production work I would recommend something more powerful as it would likely pay for itself in improved productivity.