Door & Window Openings / Brick

AriseDesign

This is a multi question thread (See attached picture) -
*Why does chief treat exterior casings differently on a door/window and a garage door?

*Why is it that Chief does not have the option to add a sill (rowlock or header brick) AND a soldier or jackarch to a door or window? (I know you can create them with polyline solids but that defeats the purpose of a 3D model - Envisiooner and Softplan have this and it works extremely well)

I am pretty sure this has been suggested or discussed before....I would expect that after 20 years of being alive, Chief would have resolved this already

post-3218-0-60611700-1426770702_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Look at the plan view of the same model - Why does Chief not know how to resolved the plan view of door sills?

Why does the brick not return to the wall? Autocad Architecture has been doing it for 20 years......can it be fixed?

post-3218-0-38409700-1426770973_thumb.jpg

post-3218-0-18800300-1426770990_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I agree. I've been toying with Chief Architect for 5 years and I have wonder why, as sophisticated as Chief Architect is, it cannot automatically enter a brick window sill. My work around is to shape a solid into the size of a brick sill and manually insert it as the brick sill then apply a material. I also ask the same question regarding brick arches. Both Eyebrow (Broken) Arches and half circle arches. I know they don't use a lot of brick in some areas, but here in the South, EVERY HOUSE has at least 80% brick or stone. Please! Give us a simple amount of code that inserts a brick window sill. If I have missed it please advise. Thank you very much.

• Upvote 1

Whether the window is recessed or not makes a difference. The exterior casing can be changed to give a brick-mould appearance on a recessed window. I think this makes the issue of a brick return shown in plan less critical, especially since a brick return isn't the only method of detailing the jamb. Also, a brick sill isn't difficult to add directly to the window - just create the profile you want and add it in the Window Specification dbx, then apply an appropriate texture. A lintel can be applied in the same manner. 

post-95-0-49114700-1450277505_thumb.png

I figured it out. Why there isn't already a molding for this Brick Rowlock Sill beats me. However, I have it only the image of brick on my rowlock is going the wrong direction. Sort of like a cross eyed tailor making me a pin stripped suite with the strips going horizontal. But I will endure and figure it out too. 

Thanks, JK

I figured it out. Why there isn't already a molding for this Brick Rowlock Sill beats me. However, I have it only the image of brick on my rowlock is going the wrong direction. Sort of like a cross eyed tailor making me a pin stripped suite with the strips going horizontal. But I will endure and figure it out too. 

Thanks, JK

Chief has many core library materials that will work for sills and lintels: 

post-95-0-58015000-1450305837_thumb.png