hardware question

NRST8TRKR

Go to solution Solved by NRST8TRKR,

Good morning,

I finished my mlast plan in X-15 and started a new one in X-16 yesterday.

My desktop is an HP Oman i-7 10700 @2.9 Ghz. with two -8 GB Sticks of ram. It ran X-15 with nom  problems but yesterday started getting warning about running out of memory and got slow. Question is should I add two more sticks of 8GB or replace with two sticks of 16GB?

Thanks and have a great day,  Ken

It actually may not be the Memory that is the Issue but the size of your OS SSD as it appears it is only 512gb , is it full?

being an older machine you might want to consider a new machine before spending too much on that one, but you could try another 2 sticks of 8gb Ram, however make sure you can return it as it's best for all 4 sticks to be identical if possible, so get the number model off the ones you have and see if you can find them still.  I believe Hyper X Memory was rebranded Fury by Kingston but you might still find some of the Older sticks.

M.

• Solution

Thanks Mike,

This is what I could Find when I had to replace my desktop when Chief made the grafix chang. Correct about the SSd but I have all my files I wok off of on a 2 t SSD drive.. I think I'll just Swap out the 8s for a couple 16s.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Hope it isn't as hot where you are as it is here, Ken

7 minutes ago, NRST8TRKR said:

I think I'll just Swap out the 8s for a couple 16s.

Likely the best bet ......  if going new , research your Mobo. and see if you can use faster RAM eg 3000,3200 or 3600.

1TB ( or 2TB) NVME SSDs aren't that expensive now , and it's fairly easy to clone the main Drive to the new one ( Macrium for eg.) , and then use the old one in an enclosure as an external.

and yes it mighty hot here too , but supposed to subside by tomorrow finally.

M.