Help with countertop material render

SuzLeigh

Hello all,

I am new to CA and need help with an accurate render for a countertop. Material is Calacatta Viola marble, with a busy pattern. I tried building a 3D solid the dimensions of the full slab, viewing it from perspective overview, and capturing the portion that will be used, again to scale, as a material for a custom countertop--got a fuzzy image in the render. I've tried simply using the material and 'stretching to fit' and get the same fuzziness. The attached pic uses individual countertops for each cabinet, and increases scale in the texture field, which gets rid of the fuzziness, but creates an inaccurate image as the same countertop repeats 3 times. There's got to be an easy way to do this. Anyone?? 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 8.35.08 PM.png

Where are you getting the texture from, is this out of the Chief Library (I searched for it but didn't find) or did you import your own? Please post your plan.

Hi Eric, I imported it using a screenshot of the actual slab. As I said, I'm a newbie. My zip file of the plan backup is too large to post here and I am unsure how to further compress a zip. Like I said...newbie. If you'll tell me how to add the zip I will do it. I would love to understand the countertop issue--it's a problem I have in every room with all marble or patterned countertops. I can never make them look as they will IRL once fabricated and installed. Thanks so much in advance! 

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 8.57.38 PM.png

That's most likely your problem. For the best result, you need a high resolution, seamless image that has been shot head on and with proper lighting. On your favorite search engine, do an image search for your preferred material and be sure to add 'seamless texture' to the search terms. There are also many online sources for materials such as Poliigon  or Sketchup Textures where you can get high quality material images specifically for rendering.

Another option is to make your own using Substance Player, check out this post for more info and a download link

• Like 1

When I make a virtual representation of a specific slab for a client, I go to the yard and take a high resolution photo of their selected slab, with the camera perpendicular to the slab and no bright lights reflecting off of it (as Eric suggested above). When I convert that image into a texture, I make sure to scale the selected area properly, in order to virtually simulate the real-world effect of templating the desired portion of the slab, rather than trying to convert the slab into a seamless texture. 

• Like 1

Thank you both for your replies. I've gone to the slab yard--not in this instance, but many times before--and struggle with getting a photo without shadows or reflections. I have been successful with importing to scale, and then 'fabricating' the stone from the overhead perspective, cutting out the exact area of the slab that will be used. That part is fun, and easy. it's simply getting a good enough image that proves a challenge. I'll keep working on it. Thanks!

0.jpeg