How to create an interior short wall within an opening

mklano

I've not done this wall configuration before but after trying several methods to accomplish this after 2h, I thought I'd ask for directions....

The image shows a clients short wall going one step into their dining room. I need to recreate this. I started by putting in an opening and then adding a short wall but the molding is fussy and the backsplash won't go onto the short wall. Basically the opening is like an L shape. I thought I could add breaks to the opening and configure as needed but breaks are not an option on an opening. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_2250.jpeg

IMG_2239.jpeg

Rendering.jpg

Copy and paste a second door w/ zero separation between the two.

Raise the sill on one to your kneewall height off the floor.  (see left opening below)

Widen each door from the opposite end until they represent the proper width.

Select both and mull them together. (see right opening below):

I couldn't get it to work properly using a window.  And, I'd cheat and use a slab or solid to create the sill cap - the cap disappears when mulled, even if you raise the lower door to give it a sill as well.

image.thumb.png.d85b979161fc2acc07f94d4df748c21b.png

image.thumb.png.305aed084a941304e976b7b10fc0e25b.png

Thanks for the help. I got close. I could not figure out how to make a zero separation. Is this something in the frame settings? Removing frame or something? When I put them up against each other, as I stretch the one frame, the other shrinks always keeping about 2.5" frame between the two.

Untitled 2.jpg

3 hours ago, mklano said:

Thanks for the help. I got close. I could not figure out how to make a zero separation. Is this something in the frame settings? Removing frame or something? When I put them up against each other, as I stretch the one frame, the other shrinks always keeping about 2.5" frame between the two.

Untitled 2.jpg

did you mull the two together?

You need to paste, not place the second doorway.

Place the first one.  Copy that one, control v and aim about 4" left or right of the first opening and click there to paste.

Mull them together and there is no inner framing or jamb material.

I can't get the same result with windows.