Snap Curson to Grid?

Astrigal

I am moving from a 2D to CA and am just now getting used to the program so thank you for your patience.  (CAx15)

I am used to being able to set the cursor to visually jump from grid intersection to grid intersection before placing a line if the snap grid is turned on, but it seems to me in CA the cursor does not adhere to the status of the snap grid so I get no visual confirmation before clicking in a wall.  Is there some way to do this?

Also, at the moment, with snap grid on, the exterior wall seems to snap the studs to the grid snap.  I'd like to get it to snap the sheathing layer to the grid line. Is there a setting that allows this?

Thanks!

No, the cursor won't visibly snap to the grid, objects drawn/placed will though. So, the same end result.

Walls by default draw based on the "Main Layer Outside" (ext Framing, typically). You can change this in your Default Settings, Wall Defaults, General Wall Defaults.

Tea Time;   Thanks for the reply.  Main Layer Outside  was checked under the General category. Is the main layer defined somewhere so it can be changed to represent the sheathing and not the studs?  ( I did change the exterior wall properties to Dimension to OSB but maybe this does not affect the snap).

"Main Layer" refers to the wall layers as per the walls type definitions. Important thing to look up and learn, but while that CAN be changed in the way you described, you really don't want to. To do what you're asking, just change the General Wall Default to resize about the outside surface instead of the main layer. you'll see that when that's set to the outer surface, when you draw a wall it'll draw from that edge, the wall layers building inward (if you draw your walls clockwise). Likewise if you're working with purely interior dimensions you can set that to draw from the inside surface to make the walls build out from that edge.