Garage next to Daylight Basement - Which Floor?

BenLondon

Go to solution Solved by MPDesign,

I am creating the model for a 2 story home, main floor with daylight basement.  See attached photo.  The proposed design I am working on is going to replace the deck on the left hand side with a garage and new deck (balcony room) over it.  

After watching a couple of videos on how to model a daylight basement, I started with drawing the main (upper) floor level on floor 1.  My intention then was to "build foundation" on floor "0" to create the pony walls and footings for the daylight basement.

However, I am now seeing that then trying to build a garage on floor 0 doesn't work in the program.  Should I instead place the main floor on "2", build a new floor "1" and then just add footings under floor "1"?  This would allow me to build the garage and balcony over it on floors 1 and 2.

Which leads to my next question:  When should you build a model with walk out basement on Floors "1" and "2" vs "0" and "1"?  Is it possible to create a model on Floors "0" , "1" & "2" and have the same outcome as using only "0" & "1" with regards to the foundation and footings?  

PXL_20240305_234059275.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-29 214734.jpg

• Solution

Hi Ben,

In my humble opinion anything that's below the dirt should be on level 0. This allows you to set the depth of the footings as needed per room. 

So, in your case yes place Footings on 0. the garage and walkout on level 1. Main living level 2.

Thanks Michael.  Yes, that looks like it's working.  I don't see any reason not to do it this way other than the extra steps needed to add the the 3rd floor level.  I'm just making the Level 1 (walkout basement) walls Pony walls with concrete lower and siding upper and then adding the footing on level 0 as you say.  I think this gives more simple design capability (internal walls etc) with the garage being on level 1 rather than level 0.  

I've just started putting my basement floor on floor 1 instead of floor zero.  Saving zero for my foundations.  I believe if you do that it will help your situation. I'm working on a plan now that has a toy garage in the walkout area that i did the way your doing it.  It took a lot of tweaks to get it how I wanted it doing it that way.