transform/replicate

Chief42020

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

I have a detailed top cad view of a fence and I'm using welded hinges to a steel post. I need for the gate that it is connected to hinge to rotate so I can see how far I can open the gate in this drawing based on where the hinge is welded to the post. Not seeing a lot of help anywhere on this.

The round object in cad view is the hinge. I need the horizontal 1 x 1 square tub and the 2 x 4 attached to rotate around the round hinge. (top view) The yellow horizontal pieces are the dog eared fence slats.

A link to how this can work would be great.

826502589_Screenshot2024-03-28at1_24_10PM.thumb.png.398fb1e5b0f59fe672bfcfdf3e915d04.png

2051814282_Screenshot2024-03-28at1_22_06PM.thumb.png.1cda2a0a4992d481c6c93a7c2f83397a.png

Assuming I'm understanding the question right, but if you place a CAD Point in the center of your hinge, then select the Gate shape and in the Transform/Replicate dialog there's an option a the bottom (pretty sure it's the same in X14) to rotate about that point

image.png.968ffe7e889cf2d83d7f60ededa6fffa.png

I put a "Point marker" in the middle of the hinge. Selected the object (the gate). Selected transform/replicate. Selected "Reflect" and selected "About a current point", clicked OK. Grabbed the object and tried to rotate and the object selected (the gate). the gate rotates in the middle of the gate object, not around the "point marker". I tried the "Place point" in the middle of the hinge and it doesn't allow me to select "About a current point" if "Reflect" is selected. "About a current point" will only be selected if I use the "point marker". 

• Solution

Okay. We're mixing up using Transform/Replicate and just manually rotating. Also I'm not sure how "About Current Point" only lights up with a Point Marker, that doesn't make sense to me.

Place a "CAD Point" (not Marker) at the hinge, then in the Edit menu change your Edit Behavior to "Rotate About Current Point". That specifically affects your manual actions using object handles etc.  Transform/Replicate also uses CAD Points, but that's where the "About Current Point" option comes in. Not sure why thats not working for you.

Frankly I don't use Transform's Reflect often, I'd just use the normal Reflect About tool for that.