Walkthrough issues - Slow to create

rcmcdougle

Go to solution Solved by Renerabbitt,

I just got a new computer up and running with Chief x14. A primary reason for the new box was because I am getting requests from clients for more elaborate presentations. The spec for the old box is X99 mb - I7 5820K cpu - 32 GB ram - RTX 2060 6 GB videocard. The new box is a Z790 mb - I9 14900K cpu - 64 GB ram - RTX 4070 Ti Super 16 GB videocard - with lots of M2 Boot / Swap / Data storage (3 different M2 chips). The good news is that my still frame PBR renders now generate in <6 seconds; less than half the time of the previous box. When I attempt to do a walkthrough with a PBR camera the new box is no better than the old box - about 1 minute per frame @ 1920 x 1080.

Additionally, I get a warning beep for a few seconds at the beginning of each frame - same as with the previous box except the beep never ended in that one. I have enabled GPU raytrace in the Chief preferences dialog. I have set System > Display > Graphics in Windows 11 to High Performance for Chief. The nVidia driver is dated 1/18/2024.

This performance doesn't seem right to me. I feel I must be missing a setting somewhere but don't know where else to look. Thoughts anyone?

20 minutes ago, rcmcdougle said:

I just got a new computer up and running with Chief x14. A primary reason for the new box was because I am getting requests from clients for more elaborate presentations. The spec for the old box is X99 mb - I7 5820K cpu - 32 GB ram - RTX 2060 6 GB videocard. The new box is a Z790 mb - I9 14900K cpu - 64 GB ram - RTX 4070 Ti Super 16 GB videocard - with lots of M2 Boot / Swap / Data storage (3 different M2 chips). The good news is that my still frame PBR renders now generate in <6 seconds; less than half the time of the previous box. When I attempt to do a walkthrough with a PBR camera the new box is no better than the old box - about 1 minute per frame @ 1920 x 1080.

Additionally, I get a warning beep for a few seconds at the beginning of each frame - same as with the previous box except the beep never ended in that one. I have enabled GPU raytrace in the Chief preferences dialog. I have set System > Display > Graphics in Windows 11 to High Performance for Chief. The nVidia driver is dated 1/18/2024.

This performance doesn't seem right to me. I feel I must be missing a setting somewhere but don't know where else to look. Thoughts anyone?

we would need to know the raytrace settings of the walkthrough. save a plan with the walkthrough path, bubble it and upload it

• Solution
22 minutes ago, rcmcdougle said:

walkthru

your sample rate is set to 1000 in rendering technique options on your walkthrough
at 2.5K resolution

• 30 seconds of video
  • *30 frames/second=900
  • *1000 samples=900,000
  • 1000 samples/36 samples-per-second on a 4090 = 25,000 seconds=~ 7 hours to render
    so probably around 10 hours for you

Also you should put a roof on her to mitigate the light bleed at the ceiling
    BTW you are sharing PCI lanes with your graphics cards with those two extra M.2 drives
  • Like 1

Thanks Renerabbitt. I missed that sample rate setting as I have set PBR samples to be capped to 100 in Preferences. It is now running about 10 frames a minute @100 samples. Is there a way to save the walkthrough settings in the same way you can save a camera? 

Given that there are 4 other floors above this apartment it did not occur to put a roof over it. I was wondering how to fix the light bleed.

Do you have any sense of the impact of sharing the PCI lanes might have on the walkthrough render times? If it were meaningful, I would consider swapping the M2s for SSDs.

Thanks again.