Trying to generate an exterior ray-trace view at night

ADallas

I added some lights to the front rooms, viewed the house from outside in Physically Based (Ray Trace) mode and everything looked fine. Then I chose 3D > Lighting > Toggle Sunlight and I expected to see a dark scene with light pouring out of the windows. Instead I get black with little white circles where the lights are visible through the windows. I haven't tried this before, so I apologize in advance if it's a dumb question (I did try to search for a previous answer), or if Chief just can't generate views like that.

If you want to create a nighttime scene, you should start by changing the color of the sunlight (as I did with the early evening scene below) . Your background makes a difference as well. It would help to post your plan.

1516574135_SE3storyhomePBR01.thumb.jpg.0b6c49b0cf676aa4f8e024306139bb7c.jpg

• Like 1

Have you tried working with the 'Generated Sky' controls in the 'Background' tab of the camera DBX? You can control the moonlight intensity, direction and stars.

• Upvote 1

Thanks! The Generated Sky stars are very interesting, but my view is still mostly black. I can't seem to turn the sun dark enough or the moon light enough to see my house in the dark/at dusk. I changed the moon luminance from 2500 to 250,000 (it limited me to 100,000) but there was still no difference in the rendering.

I've found that it takes some experimentation with the direction and tilt angle along with intensity of the moon. Have you toggled off the sun?