Best method? - Need to move house +3 ft on terrain models with elevation lines (sloped lot)

tinadelllic

Hi there! I need to move a house over about 3' to take advantage of an encroachment opportunity. I had already "completed" the 3D model including the lot's sloped terrain, driveway and a "retaining wall" (foundation wall). I modeled the terrain using elevation lines which I cut (and put on another layer... I think) around a flattened building pad which was an elevation area. No spot elevations were used. I separated my floor plan 2D drawing from this file previously, so...

The primary question, which should I move - the building (with decks) or the terrain? I'd appreciate it if anyone has any insight on the best strategy to go about doing this effectively. I'm sure I can make a botched attempt and spend awhile cleaning up, however I'd love to hear if anyone has run into this and any tips you can share.

(I can post jpegs or the file if that's helpful!)

Thanks, 

Kristina

18 minutes ago, tinadelllic said:

which should I move - the building (with decks) or the terrain

Hi Tina,  Great question, and the cases I have had to do the same thing (about 20% of the time actually), I move the terrain.  Esp. since most of the houses are too far along that I don't want to miss not picking something or if a layer is locked by chance.  But, again, most of my terrains aren't to crazy so it easier to pick that to move than the complete home.   When I have had this come up, I actually do the terrain to the side, so I can grab the whole thing, and move in a X and Y distance.  

Others I'm sure will have there way of doing it too.  

12 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

Hi Tina,  Great question, and the cases I have had to do the same thing (about 20% of the time actually), I move the terrain.  Esp. since most of the houses are too far along that I don't want to miss not picking something or if a layer is locked by chance.  But, again, most of my terrains aren't to crazy so it easier to pick that to move than the complete home.   When I have had this come up, I actually do the terrain to the side, so I can grab the whole thing, and move in a X and Y distance.  

Others I'm sure will have there way of doing it too.  

Ahhh thank you!

So... hear me out. What if...
1) I made another copy of the file to isolate the terrain from the building. 

2) Shifted the terrain over as needed on the new isolated copy

3) Deleted the existing terrain entirely from the master file

4) Copy/paste the adjusted terrain from the isolated file....Would this work even a little or would it not build correctly at all?

If not, maybe I can create the new terrain perimeter after deleting the original and just paste the elevation lines? Anyone know if there would be errors copy and pasting the entire terrain model, where it goes wrong?

@tinadelllic

Sounds like a lot of work actually.  So you have the terrain all modeled the way you want it, but it needs to move 3'?  Is there too much just trying to pick the terrain objects wo the house and then move?  

Like I was trying to say earlier, when I do have a terrain design that isn't typical and needs attention, I just model it next to the house in the same model, get the perimeters, contours, elevations lines or regions all in place, then just slide over to the correct location with the house.

52 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

@tinadelllic

Sounds like a lot of work actually.  So you have the terrain all modeled the way you want it, but it needs to move 3'?  Is there too much just trying to pick the terrain objects wo the house and then move?  

Like I was trying to say earlier, when I do have a terrain design that isn't typical and needs attention, I just model it next to the house in the same model, get the perimeters, contours, elevations lines or regions all in place, then just slide over to the correct location with the house.

Alright!! I'm going to try it. Thanks for your input!