Roof Over frame

Larry_Sweeney

Go to solution Solved by mLongChief,

I'm adding on an addition and I have a case where I want to do a roof over frame. I've tried everything I can think of and I can't get the "over framing to work. I built the same roof off to the side and attached the second roof that I want to over frame in a "T" type setup and tried the over framing option. It framed correctly. I then erased the framing from the new roofs and tried it again and it would not over frame. I tried this a few more times and I still could not get the over framing to work. Any suggestions before I strip down the model and send it?

Since no one answered this thread up to this point I thought I would do the "correct" thing and send a simplified plan of my problem. What I'm attempting to do is over frame roof planes "B" onto "A". I also want to over frame roof plane "C" onto "A", B" and "D". I can't get either of the roof planes to over frame. What am I doing wrong? Can CA do this? Suggestions will be much appreciated. Also, I noticed when I backed up this plan to send it had 70 "referenced files". If possible, can someone explain this to me? Could this somehow be part of my problem?

SIMPLIFIED PLAN.zip

• Solution
1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Since no one answered this thread up to this point I thought I would do the "correct" thing and send a simplified plan of my problem. What I'm attempting to do is over frame roof planes "B" onto "A". I also want to over frame roof plane "C" onto "A", B" and "D". I can't get either of the roof planes to over frame. What am I doing wrong? Can CA do this? Suggestions will be much appreciated.

It's possible to get the overframing in this case, just takes tweaking the edges of the roof planes to get them into position. Usually when you run into the case of the shoe plates not generating, that means the edge of the roof plane isn't properly seated on the roof plane below it. What I do to get them seated properly is by selecting the edge of the overframed roof that I want a shoe plate along and use either the Place Roof Plane Intersection Point tool or Join Roof Planes tool.

The Place Roof Plane Intersection Point tool works some of the time, but with more complex situations it may not give the exact points I'm looking for. The Join Roof Planes tool works nearly all the time, but it does modify the lower roof plane's edge as well, so I have to move those edges back into place afterwards. It can be a bit tricky getting all the edges in place, but it is possible.

OverframedPlan.zip

Michael.........................Thank you. I've been away from my work most of the day. Your information and help is much appreciated.  There's one item I didn't mention earlier and I thought I should while I'm thinking about it. When I was first building the simplified plan I just built roof planes "A" and "B". After they were in place, with "B" roof planes being checked to overframe, I had CA frame the roofs and the "B" roof planes overframed correctly. I then mistakenly deleted the framing. After that (and not moving the roof planes in any way) I could not get the overframing to work. I experimented with a number of different roof planes and overframing. When I would get a setup to overframe, I would then erase the roof framing and then try to rebuild the overframing. It wouldn't work. Could this be a bug or is it something on "my end"? In all cases I would just rehighlite the roof planes to build the framing. Not moving the planes in any way.

On 1/31/2024 at 6:14 PM, Larry_Sweeney said:

Michael.........................Thank you. I've been away from my work most of the day. Your information and help is much appreciated.  There's one item I didn't mention earlier and I thought I should while I'm thinking about it. When I was first building the simplified plan I just built roof planes "A" and "B". After they were in place, with "B" roof planes being checked to overframe, I had CA frame the roofs and the "B" roof planes overframed correctly. I then mistakenly deleted the framing. After that (and not moving the roof planes in any way) I could not get the overframing to work. I experimented with a number of different roof planes and overframing. When I would get a setup to overframe, I would then erase the roof framing and then try to rebuild the overframing. It wouldn't work. Could this be a bug or is it something on "my end"? In all cases I would just rehighlite the roof planes to build the framing. Not moving the planes in any way.

That's something I haven't heard of before... If you're only deleting the framing and not adjusting the roof planes, then the overframing should come back upon rebuilding the framing. Following your steps on my end, of making a valid overframing case, deleting the framing (either through the Delete Objects Dialog or selecting them all and deleting), and then rebuilding the framing (with either the Build Framing Dialog or selecting them all and using Build Framing for Selected), the overframing would come back like it was before.

My only theory as to what could've happened is the roofs somehow got rebuilt and were no longer marked as overframing, but by the sounds of it you were checking that. If you have that plan showcasing that issue, I'd send it into tech support for them to take a look at it, they'd be able to determine if it's a bug or not.