Add Contours to Landscape Design from GIS System (Baltimore County, MD)

rgarf2

I’m trying to figure out how to pull the contours from a specific lot in Baltimore County, MD to add to a landscape design. I can’t figure out how to pull the DWG file of the specific lot. I’d love for someone to assist that could walk me through it (happy to pay for services of course!). 

22 minutes ago, rgarf2 said:

I’m trying to figure out how to pull the contours from a specific lot in Baltimore County, MD to add to a landscape design. I can’t figure out how to pull the DWG file of the specific lot. I’d love for someone to assist that could walk me through it (happy to pay for services of course!). 

Personal opinion, its far more efficient to trace your contours in chief..takes less than 20 minutes for most lots using elevation splines. Imports tend to bring in too much information.

• Upvote 2

The first and last time I imported and changed contour lines to elevation lines the resulting Terrain Plane was slower than molasses' in the Winter to view in camera and plan view. It had so many 3D faces it was overwhelming my then computer. I am with Rabbit on this one.

DJP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

Personal opinion, its far more efficient to trace your contours in chief..takes less than 20 minutes for most lots using elevation splines. Imports tend to bring in too much information.

I guess that’s what I’m struggling with. How would I  pull them off and trace them and ensure accuracy? 

25 minutes ago, rgarf2 said:

I guess that’s what I’m struggling with. How would I  pull them off and trace them and ensure accuracy? 

without having more info or an exmaple file I couldn't give you an exact method. Typically we would have somehing to scale from in the deliverable

4 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

without having more info or an exmaple file I couldn't give you an exact method. Typically we would have somehing to scale from in the deliverable

I have a few options with the county GIS system.

"GIS data can be downloaded from the GIS Data Portal and from our FTP site, and is available in multiple formats:

• Adobe Reader (.pdf) – FTP only
  • ESRI File Geodatabase (.gdb)
  • ESRI Shapefile (.shp)
  • Generic CADD file export (.dxf) – Data Portal only
  • AutoCAD (.dwg)
  • Orthos (.sid and .jp2) – FTP only"

This is what I originally pulled and tried to scale via PDF, but I wasn't sure how to make that accurate with our design drawing. 

staples1.pdf

54 minutes ago, rgarf2 said:

I have a few options with the county GIS system.

"GIS data can be downloaded from the GIS Data Portal and from our FTP site, and is available in multiple formats:

• Adobe Reader (.pdf) – FTP only
  • ESRI File Geodatabase (.gdb)
  • ESRI Shapefile (.shp)
  • Generic CADD file export (.dxf) – Data Portal only
  • AutoCAD (.dwg)
  • Orthos (.sid and .jp2) – FTP only"

This is what I originally pulled and tried to scale via PDF, but I wasn't sure how to make that accurate with our design drawing. 

staples1.pdf 368.61 kB · 0 downloads

put it in plan, point to point resize based on the scale, then draw elevation splines over your data..youll have to do some guessing since they only give you a few interval dimensions, assume 10' +/-