Tech Help (Remote In)

mgannage

My chief architect has been crashing and in general being super slow (but only on one computer). I called Chief and they walked me through updating a driver but that caused a fatal error in my computer. My tech guy got me up and running and says there is nothing wrong with my computer and thinks that Cheif is just not talking to my drivers, I am hoping that someone can hop on my computer and look at the settings and see if I have some weird settings.

I also have purchased Rene's templates and libraries but am (was) missing a lot of textures and cannot get the toolbars to function properly. My tech guy (in an effort to fix the above problem) uninstalled and reinstalled the software which caused me to also use my user library (and all libraries other than core).

My third (or maybe the cause of it all) problem is that I have all my files on a network drive (including libraries and archives) and I just do not know if my file storage method is acceptable.

I am not techy, nor do I have the bandwidth to tackle this issue.

Thank you in advance to anyone who thinks they can help.

Hi

Don't know if you meant in your post; that you are working off your network. If you are, that is not recommended.

BACKING UP YOUR FILES It is always a good idea to create backup copies of all your important files on your computer. It is strongly recommended, however, that you never save directly: l Across a network, such as onto a server; l Onto removable media such as a USB thumb drive. l Across the Internet. Instead, copy your files to such locations only after you have saved them on your computer’s hard drive and exited the program. Similarly, you should never open files saved in these locations. Copy the files to the local hard drive, and then open them. See Opening and Importing Files on page 44. Archive folders are used by Chief Architect to manage prior versions of your files. You should not view these files as a substitute for your own backup routine, and should never save a file in an archive folder. See Auto Archive on page 42. When backing up your Chief Architect files, consider backing up not only your .plan and .layout files, but your custom user data, as well - including library content, toolbar configurations, and textures. This custom data is all located in the Chief Architect Premier Data folder, so it can be easily backed up. See Chief Architect Premier Data on page 37. You can, if you wish, create a folder inside the Data folder for your .plan and .layout files, as well.

Further:

DATA FOLDER NAME AND LOCATION The name of the Chief Architect Premier X15 Data folder cannot be changed, but you can specify its location on your system in the Preferences dialog. See Folders Panel on page 106. If you specify a new location for this folder, the program will not migrate any custom user settings that you might have. Instead, it will automatically create a new folder at that location containing default information from the Chief Architect Premier X15 installation folder. If you would like to copy custom settings to the new location, you can do this yourself in an operating system window. When specifying a location for the Data folder, bear these considerations in mind: l If you move the Chief Architect Premier X15 Data folder on your computer without specifying its location in Preferences, the program will automatically replace the folder in its default location using default information from the software's installation folder. l The same will result if you specify a location on a network or removable device and that location becomes inaccessible. For this reason, it is best to use a location on your local hard drive. l The User Database Libraries in particular may contain a large amount of data. Whatever location you choose to use must be located on a hard drive with sufficient space to hold these files. Just as with your plan and layout files, it is a good idea to back up your Chief Architect Premier X15 Data folder. 37ChiefArchitectPremierX15ReferenceManual-CreatingaNewPlanorLayout Because the Chief Architect Premier X15 Data contains custom user data, it is not deleted when the program is uninstalled.

Hope this helps

• Upvote 2

On 1/12/2024 at 3:43 PM, mgannage said:

My chief architect has been crashing and in general being super slow (but only on one computer). I called Chief and they walked me through updating a driver but that caused a fatal error in my computer. My tech guy got me up and running and says there is nothing wrong with my computer and thinks that Cheif is just not talking to my drivers, I am hoping that someone can hop on my computer and look at the settings and see if I have some weird settings.

I also have purchased Rene's templates and libraries but am (was) missing a lot of textures and cannot get the toolbars to function properly. My tech guy (in an effort to fix the above problem) uninstalled and reinstalled the software which caused me to also use my user library (and all libraries other than core).

My third (or maybe the cause of it all) problem is that I have all my files on a network drive (including libraries and archives) and I just do not know if my file storage method is acceptable.

I am not techy, nor do I have the bandwidth to tackle this issue.

Thank you in advance to anyone who thinks they can help.

COME to MEEE my friend. I provide awesome tech support but only through the discord server that is linked through your purchase link for these items.
DISCORD LINK
Also you can use this name if you ever need to tag me.
Yes it can be very problematic if you are backing up to a network with multiple machines as the machines will all by default sync to the same location causing all kinds of issues when two machines are trying to sync at the same time or you are havbing redundancy issues in the sync system. You would need to designate a different location for your chief data on a machine by machine basis.
Also my toolbars have a very specific set of instructions for how they install, as well as the material files. I just uploaded an update to this and sent out mass emailers for it, check yorur spam :)
Also just reach out to me, I am here to help.
I have scrapers searching for my name every once in a while which is the only reason I caught this on here