End of Wall Tile help

Mackenzie

Go to solution Solved by Michael_Gia,

Hello, I'm trying to get my tile to apply to the inside opening of a shower without it being applied to the rest of the wall above the tile wainscot.

I've tried the custom backsplash tool and that won't register to the narrow portion of the wall, I also attempted applying the tile to the entire wall by selecting the narrow section and then defining a custom wall material region but that ends up removing wallboard from the opening entirely. I'm surprised I haven't encountered this before but any help would be thoroughly appreciated. my plan file was too large to share so I'm hoping these photos will help enough to understand my problem.

495740003_Screenshot2023-12-11at1_20_05PM.thumb.png.7ef0a6983b0b24254beb35f037f39417.png

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 1.24.58 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 1.25.19 PM.png

• Solution

Option 1). Apply a slab or 3d solid in an elevation view. Just like a tile would be applied on top of your drywall. This gives flexibility and won’t fight with automated wall wrapping etc..

Option 2) wall material region and uncheck, “cut finish layers”

Option 3) make a pony wall.

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

Option 1). Apply a slab or 3d solid in an elevation view. Just like a tile would be applied on top of your drywall. This gives flexibility and won’t fight with automated wall wrapping etc..

Option 2) wall material region and uncheck, “cut finish layers”

Option 3) make a pony wall.

1) I didn't understand this suggestion at first, but your saying just draw a rectangle with the 3D solid tool and position it carefully?

2) I was able to get this one to work after selecting that and then just leaving it as one layer of backer board that I painted to match the rest of the walls. a bit of extra work but I'm very happy to have a working solution, thank you.

3) once I switched to a pony wall I was able to control the upper and lower portions independently but they would both wrap around the corners respectively, is there a step or box I missed with this solution?

Option 2 is very much appreciated, just trying to learn as much as possible. thank you!

1 minute ago, Mackenzie said:

1) I didn't understand this suggestion at first, but your saying just draw a rectangle with the 3D solid tool and position it carefully?

2) I was able to get this one to work after selecting that and then just leaving it as one layer of backer board that I painted to match the rest of the walls. a bit of extra work but I'm very happy to have a working solution, thank you.

3) once I switched to a pony wall I was able to control the upper and lower portions independently but they would both wrap around the corners respectively, is there a step or box I missed with this solution?

Option 2 is very much appreciated, just trying to learn as much as possible. thank you!

Did you try what I suggested?

23 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

use a wall covering in the wall covering panel of the wing wall's dbx.

2 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Did you try what I suggested?

I just finished trying your suggestion, It looks like It mostly works but wants to wrap around that narrow portion of the wall to the point where the glass meets, I had forgotten about the wall covering tool from a tile video though and might be missing a step.

650664529_Screenshot2023-12-11at3_54_56PM.thumb.png.7b86a63b68d541e3fa5323167237649b.png

4 minutes ago, Mackenzie said:

but your saying just draw a rectangle with the 3D solid tool and position it carefully?

That’s correct. As far as positioning, the solid will snap to most things in an elevation view. 

This method is the least elegant of the options but it is the most flexible, I believe. 

Wall coverings, as René suggested is quite simple, but I always run into problems wrapping or rather trying to keep the wrap off of certain surfaces. 

19 minutes ago, Mackenzie said:

just finished trying your suggestion, It looks like It mostly works but wants to wrap around that narrow portion of the wall to the point where the glass meets, I had forgotten about the wall covering tool from a tile video though and might be missing a step.

Sorry I was confused, do you want your tile wainscot to wrap or not wrap?

7 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Sorry I was confused, do you want your tile wainscot to wrap or not wrap?

No problem, it can be hard to explain sometimes, my goal was to have wainscot tile around the whole room and tile to the ceiling in the shower and on the 4.5" width portion of the shower opening. I was able to make it look like that with wall material region tool selecting the space to be drywall, then deleting all but the backboard layer and setting it's thickness to 1/32" after unchecking the "cut finish layer" box. It seems like there would be an easier way but that's how I got here.

1300536822_Screenshot2023-12-11at4_09_42PM.thumb.png.4ab4027c58ab3aaf98159282167fbae7.png

2 minutes ago, Mackenzie said:

No problem, it can be hard to explain sometimes, my goal was to have wainscot tile around the whole room and tile to the ceiling in the shower and on the 4.5" width portion of the shower opening. I was able to make it look like that with wall material region tool selecting the space to be drywall, then deleting all but the backboard layer and setting it's thickness to 1/32" after unchecking the "cut finish layer" box. It seems like there would be an easier way but that's how I got here.

1300536822_Screenshot2023-12-11at4_09_42PM.thumb.png.4ab4027c58ab3aaf98159282167fbae7.png

Ah, ok, so this can be done very easily, just add a 1/16" or 1/2" jamb to your shower door and paint it then add the wall covering.
Though it looks like your way worked just fine :)

17 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Ah, ok, so this can be done very easily, just add a 1/16" or 1/2" jamb to your shower door and paint it then add the wall covering.
Though it looks like your way worked just fine :)

Thank you, I'll give that method a shot next time around. Would that give me trouble with a jamb above the glass? also curious If the jamb would extend all the way to the ceiling or would it just stop at the height of the shower door? we usually leave about 12" gap between the door and ceiling and I'm concerned that portion wouldn't display the tile/jamb.