Edit User Catalog Objects

Yannik

I am fairly new to Chief Architect, coming from Revit and AutoCAD. I am running into what seems like a fundamental issue.

How do I edit things I placed into the user catalog? Not just how it displays in plan view but actually change the 3D geometry. For example, I copied the shelf "Closet Shelf w/ Rod" from the Core Catalog and am trying to delete the rod. I am sure there are easier ways to get just a plain wood shelf but I figured this would be as simple as editing a family in Revit and loading it back in.

image.thumb.png.3e3a49e23af484d8b72b2f05dc20e818.png

I right click on it, go to "Edit CAD Block" and then I delete the rod in the new window. How do I save this change? There doesn't seem to be an option to save these changes. When I close the tab it asks me if I want to save the changes but when I hit "Save" nothing happens. When I open it back up the rod is right back where it was. It seems I can only copy and paste this into the plan but then it doesn't show up in the 3D view.

Is this not how Chief Architect works or is this a user error? Do I maybe have a corrupted version and should reinstall (this has happend to me with Revit before)?

Feels like this should be super simple.

19 minutes ago, Yannik said:

Feels like this should be super simple.

Editing symbols is a little complicated but before you get lost in that process a closet shelf is a regular shelf with a rod. You don't want the rod so just use a regular shelf.

Welcome.

Eric's info is reliable. Here is a support article link to supplement his videos. https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00117/locating-and-importing-3d-symbols.html

Editing the CAD block does not alter the 3D object.

To speak specifically to your shelf inquiry. It may be advantage to you to use a cabinet tool if just a shelf is needed. Customize it and save it to user library easily.

Edited by DrawingABlank
forgot link

1 minute ago, Chopsaw said:

Editing symbols is a little complicated but before you get lost in that process a closet shelf is a regular shelf with a rod. You don't want the rod so just use a regular shelf.

Yeah this was just an easy example before I start talking about editing more complicated items. It is more about the fundamentals of how to customize core library items.

36 minutes ago, solver said:

Chief probably works differently than Revit and AutoCAD. Here are two videos on changing the 3D part of the symbol. There are other methods and which one you choose will depend on what you want to do (see the 3rd video below for another method).

A bit of searching -- the Chief website is a good place to start, should find info on doing the 2D.

And welcome to ChiefTalk. Please take a minute to complete your signature as it helps others help you. Short video how to: https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/18908-signature-here-at-chief-talk/?do=findComment&comment=155662

Kind of blew my mind how simple yet complicated it is. Coming from Revit I assumed you had to edit the symbol (didn't know it was called symbol) in a separate window/view and then load it into the project. The fact that I can just make changes like that didn't even occur to me.

Thank you very much.