Material properties

marlem2000

Helo!:)

I keep on exploring Chief Architect and it seems this never ends! :unsure:I'm begining to apply properties to materials but I have a big doubt. Is there a way to apply a property to two different objects that have the same material? For example: I have a wall with a pattern (a jpg). I apply the class "matte" to this material.

Then, I use the same one for a shower curtain. In this case I want to apply the class "plastic". How can I do this? The class "matte" is applied to that pattern in the whole project. :unsure:

Maybe I can clone the material in the User Catalog but, at the end, it would be a mess :(

bath.jpg

Captura.JPG

room.jpg

Good day,

Have you tried.....

1)  Locate the material in the 'Library Browser' that you want to use - Right Click and Duplicate.

2)  A 'Copy' of the Original in now placed into Your User Catalog.

3)  The new Copy is now grayed over - Right Click the new copy (in your user library) and Rename by moving the curser with the arrow keys to the end of the current name and add something like 'xxxx-Matte'. (if that is what you want - xxxx being the original name)

4)  Next, Right Click on your New Material you just renamed, and make another copy.  Rename in the same way and maybe call this one xxxx-Plastic"

5)  Right click on your new item called 'xxxx-Matte' and go into the 'Define Material' as you have, and change to what you want for Matte.

6)  Now go to your other new item called 'xxxx-Plastic'  and change any settings you want for Plastic.

If understood, that should help by modifying each material for you to apply independently to achieve your desired results.

Have a great day:D

• Like 1

Hi, Drew!:D Many thanks for your answer. I was thinking about that method; the only problem is, this way, my User Catalog will be full of copies and it will be a mess.:unsure: I try to get it as much clean as I can because I download many materials and symbols. I was thinking about a way to use the same material file for different objects and different properties but I guess it's not possible. 

Another question I have is: Is there a way to apply a material to a particlar part of a symbol? For example, I have downloaded a light (picture attached) and, as you can see, lightbulb and cover are the same (red). Is it possible to apply the "lighting white" material to the lightbulb and whatever other color to the cover?:unsure:

Untitled 1.jpg

You can't have one material with two different properties.  You need to have two different materials if you want them to look different.  You can either make a copy in the library or make a copy in the plan (but then it won't be available to use in other plans).

As for the lamp, it all depends on how the symbol was set up to begin with.  If the light bulb was assigned a different material than the cover by the symbol designer then you will be able to apply different materials in Chief.  If not, then it's a stupid symbol and I wouldn't use it.  You could modify the symbol in order to do this but it would be somewhat of a pain to do in Chief depending on how many surfaces you need to edit.

7 hours ago, marlem2000 said:

Hi, Drew!:D Many thanks for your answer. I was thinking about that method; the only problem is, this way, my User Catalog will be full of copies and it will be a mess.:unsure: I try to get it as much clean as I can because I download many materials and symbols. I was thinking about a way to use the same material file for different objects and different properties but I guess it's not possible. 

Another question I have is: Is there a way to apply a material to a particlar part of a symbol? For example, I have downloaded a light (picture attached) and, as you can see, lightbulb and cover are the same (red). Is it possible to apply the "lighting white" material to the lightbulb and whatever other color to the cover?:unsure:

Untitled 1.jpg

Good day,

I've ran into the same situation with regards to several copies of an original with different names for different applications.

If it works for you - Go to the Library Catalog and Right Click on your User Catalog and choose - New > Folder.

Then rename or Right Click on the new folder and re-name it (for example) the current Job or Client your working on, and safe the files there.

This way it unclutters your User Catalog - you just have a few Job/Client folders is all.

I hope this may be helpful as this is what I do and helps keep less clutter...and copies of copies.

In regards to the light - DB's answer is the solution.

Have a great day!

20 hours ago, DBCooper said:

If not, then it's a stupid symbol and I wouldn't use it.  You could modify the symbol in order to do this but it would be somewhat of a pain to do in Chief depending on how many surfaces you need to edit.

Totally agree, DBCooper. :lol:I'll have to search for symbols that allow to change different materials. I don't think I can edit them in Chief if the process is complicated.:unsure:

18 hours ago, Drew-PRH said:

If it works for you - Go to the Library Catalog and Right Click on your User Catalog and choose - New > Folder.

I think this may work and I hadn't though about this option.^_^ Many thanks for the tip, Drew! I just wanted to know the posibilities I have with material properties. I'm a new user and I'm still a bit lost. :unsure: