Cabinet Inserts / Dividers

RobUSMC

Can someone give me some guidance or point me in the right direct to a CA video.  I would like to know how to add custom inserts into cabinet that will change as the cabinet width or height changes.  I have done a few (see pic) but by only adding 3D solids as dividers then making a block but it has to be edited each time the cabinet size changes.  Thanks1671568729_TrayDividers.thumb.jpg.28af74fb29155ca70191c9218216696a.jpg

20 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

I would like to know how to add custom inserts into cabinet that will change as the cabinet width or height changes.

Height is easier than width. (sorry I don't do vids)

What I've found as fastes/simplest is to make the symbol a cabinet door. Place in back of the cabinet as a side panel inset. You will have to resize the back section to match the front IF the front changs.

For width there is not good way around having multiple symbols BUT...I make them with a specific number of dividers and spacing. Then allow the left and right side to change to fit. 

Make the symbol from a cabinet and save the plan. It's the fastest way to make the symbol and allows you to change # of dividers, divider width and spacing.

image.thumb.png.c24187aca6074e51f52cc55194d1953f.png

Offset the y axis by .3/4". Set a stretch ZONE for height the total height of the symbol. Set 2 stretch planes for width. One 1/2 for left edge, one 1/2" from right edge.

image.thumb.png.8c2f2a5f2404cf4a184c9721046b91b8.pngimage.thumb.png.6982203a7bad0788286689302dca506f.png

That will allow you about 3-4" of width change per # off dividers (depending on how crazy you want to be. You could always make a new symbol)

It's also possible to make only one door symbol the split the back section. (more: control, difficult, time). If you want to get tricky can use a combination of a single divider as a door and a multiple with set spacing. YMMV

NOTE- these will NOT change depth. For cabinet depth make new symbol either using the original plan (easiest, fastest) or placing a symbol in plan, adjusting, then converting.

Something similar can be done making a fixture symbol for a shelf.

• Managing materials can get tricky (don't use default or it will match your toilets)
  • First set shelf spacing to previous as 0", close shelf DBX, re-open, select shelf you want, click ok when it says won't fit resize?
  • Resizing height on that section requires redoing the shelf selection all over again but the back does not to be redone.

Here is a run of assorted size cabinets. Dividers are 3/8 wide w/4" between. I'd say it works ok from 24-30". NOTE that IF you set the width to resize equally the spacing will resize BUT the dividers will also!!

image.thumb.png.cbbd9e3b1c3d6f0c79fa3c3f3cc60b31.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2