Microsoft surface pro 7 or 8 with X15

HabitatAlan

On 7/10/2023 at 9:13 AM, HabitatAlan said:

Is anyone using a Microsoft surface pro 7 or 8 with X15?

So, I'm guessing the sound of crickets means "No."

On 7/10/2023 at 9:13 AM, HabitatAlan said:

If so how does it do? Can you do 3D views ok?

Historically Surfaces have never really ideal for Chief, I think very few people find a lot of success with them. I had an older model surface years ago, I think around X12, and it worked "okay", not great but it was fine in a pinch. But overall performance, I didn't enjoy it and I wouldn't recommend it.  Of course X15 is a different beast, and I don't know that newer Surfaces have kept up with the changes to Chief's graphics. And thats always the biggest concern with any computer when considering it for Chief. The Surface 7 sports either an Intel UHD (i3 model) or Intel Iris Plus (i5 and i7 models) while the Surface 8 has Intel Iris Xe - none of these are ideal, though I'm fairly sure they'll work.

Chief's requirements are pretty obscure, they simply say your graphics needs to support DirectX 12 but computer spec sheets never list that so you gotta do some side research.  I'm pretty sure Iris Plus and Iris Xe both support Dx12 but I doubt youll get exceptional quality from it and no GPU Ray Tracing. It's best to think about Chief like a video game given the way it renders 3D, asking "will this computer be good for Chief?" is the same as asking "will this computer be good to play video games?" and if you find yourself talking to a store sales rep, that's a good way to frame the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...