Cabinet material list reporting

Leadcarpo

Hello, I have finally figured out how to set plan materials like drywall to report as sf in my material list. I am curious if there is a way to make cabinets report their price with volume. My thinking is that I can figure how much a base cabinet cost per cubic in in real life and apply that formula style to all of my cabinets in chief

On 6/25/2023 at 5:52 PM, Leadcarpo said:

how much a base cabinet cost

Just be aware that this kind of method only will get you an approximation. Many KDs use a linear foot price for guestimating cabinet pricing we called that the "price for the kitchen nobody buys". I ran into a more complicated method used by SEN dealers that was more accurate but I can't remember and would not attempt to get it into a ML. (FWIW when I was a KD and dealer, I refused to use guestimates and simply would price the job with options.)

Here is what a ML formula for volume would look like. This a a tad high perhaps for base but fairly close for wall cabinets for one brand that I used. It does not account for variations in door style (0 to 25% increase or often a per door charge) or wood species (0-35%), or finish (0 -30% increase). or variations in construction (traditional OL is less, inset usually more)

image.thumb.png.d45fe9141c1075bad4b22d59192b4010.png

• Upvote 2

Hey Mark, thanks! This is awesome! Is there a list of formulas that I can use for other stuff? With this cabinet formula in particular, is there a way to not build the cost in with the actual cabinet and just get the ML to report the cubic number? My thinking is that we will determine the price for each style independently and manually put those numbers into the ML. Example:

Full overlay = $1.50/cubic in

PO = $1.75/cubic in

Inset = $2.00/cubic in.

I know these numbers are probably high, but they will work for this example. Also, thanks again, I am not a behind the scenes computer guy and this is so helpful!

2 hours ago, Leadcarpo said:

Is there a list of formulas

Read either help or the Reference Manual about "Components List" and likely Macros/Ruby in Chief.

To just get the volume you would just use W x H x D

. That could be put in a sub category or in the comment field in Object Information Panel (OIP) 

image.thumb.png.8b751843e2ec6276c457f3c027fc17fc.pngimage.thumb.png.ef0ebe0b30cd6990f841cb756f7c8da0.png

I suggest you will be better served talking with your cabinet supplier first. Here is a chart of just a few assorted cabinets showing list prices and at the far right the  price per cu. ft. A quick glance shows the issue

image.thumb.png.eb62289906c3628fca7fbeedb209f92d.png

In the past I've posted some information on using schedules copied to a spreadsheet to get cabinet pricing. If I were doing that today I'd have an assortment of style palettes in the library for cabinets that included a price in a custom OIP field.

Hi Mark, quick question. Is there a formula that will allow me to make cabinets report the SF footprint? I basically took a previous project and used CAD boxes to figure the total SF, then I took the total cost and divided it by the SF to get an average, This would allow me to use the same number for all the cabinets within each style. Here is an example just so there is no confusion. I would want all of these to report 4 SF. Thanks again for your help!

2' x 2' base cab = 4 SF

1'x4' wall cab = 4 SF

2'x2' full height = $ SF

6 minutes ago, Leadcarpo said:

Is there a formula

Read about macros in Ruby as noted earlier.

You will want to learn to use Text Macro Management- Select a cabinet, open TM,

image.png.8d922b8da7736d13a169c00696c74c8a.png

look at object properites. That will show what you can use in formulas.

image.thumb.png.4dd834ed663f335fef33ac6d800717ba.png

Please fill out your signature with version using, computer info can help us when you are having issues.