Adding a step-down porch to an existing plan

jmmilner

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

Title says it all.  I have a complete plan with an existing foundation, first and second floors, plus complex roof.  The plan represents the current state of a rehabilitation of an 1860s farm house that was built in three phases.  The house was raised and a complete new 9' poured concrete foundation unifies the three prior foundation sections.  All good.

Now the owner wants to add a covered porch across the front that works with the existing two story section yet merges with the roof line of the one story portion of the home.  I think I have managed that but the last twist has baffled me - how do I arrange things so the porch floor/deck level is a step down from the first floor which is at relative elevation 0?

I've included a screen shot of the exterior with the porch at the same level as the first floor.

Any suggestions?

1860 draft65a.pdf

• Solution

You are likely overthinking this one.  Decide what size the step is going to be and place a dash ahead of it for your floor level of the deck so it is a negative value.  Done.

image.png

Overthinking is one of my core competencies!   I got all hung up trying to build a foundation room under the porch and messing with those settings.  The Room Specification did exactly what I needed instantly.  Thanks for the quick response.