3D Viewer - way to check surface count for posted models or in Chief besides during export?

Christina_Girerd

Go to solution Solved by Chopsaw,

I have a large main house with detached garage and ADU that I want to post for my client in the 3D Viewer.  I want to include as much info as possible, but don't have a good feel for optimum vs. usable surface counts.  I posted a first test model that appeared to post, but then when I try to view it, I get "3D Viewer Error" message due to lack of available memory and it just suggests reloading the page which doesn't change anything.  I created a second model where I removed layers for plants and vehicles to reduce surface count, and that one loads and I can even get it to show in Standard view part of the time.  So I need to make a third model and remove a few more layers so my clients won't get error messages.

I wanted to check the surface counts of some of my previously posted models that worked well, but I can't find that info.  Do the surface counts only show when you are exporting the model from Chief?  Or is there some way to check for posted models? 

It would be helpful if I could check surface counts for the 3D view showing in Chief so I could quickly turn items/layers off and on and figure out any high surface count objects that might be worth turning off for the model export.

In the 3D viewer tutorial, they mentioned too many camera views might also cause a model to be less responsive, but again, I don't have a good feel for what that means.  Is 1-5 okay, but over 10 is too much, or ?  And how much do extra camera views slow things down versus removing surfaces?  If I remove two camera views, is that worth removing 1,000 surfaces?  Also I noticed one of the Viewer tutorials was from X10, and I didn't know how much things might have changed since then. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Solution

I have not noticed any significant changes in the viewer for quite a while now.  At least in comparison to the number of suggestions.

Your status bar will display the number of surfaces rendered in a 3D view for a short time after it finishes rendering if that helps.

12 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Your status bar will display the number of surfaces rendered in a 3D view for a short time after it finishes rendering if that helps.

Thank you!  I thought that was the case, but last night I was looking at the right side of the status bar where I thought I remembered it, and where it says "rendering..." or "finished rendering" and didn't see it so assumed it didn't show anymore.  But this morning, I checked again after your remark, and this time noticed it on the left end of the bar.  I should have looked more closely yesterday.  One of the pitfalls of later night work! 

• 10 months later...

Hey I know this is a year late but the surface count can be seen right before you export it to 3D. Also I was told by Chief that the max is 500k. I hope they increase that because it's hard to keep it in that range on larger homes.

image.thumb.png.3258ee9a339657f6a95079ecbfaba0df.png