Materials list question x-15 (siding)

someguy

Go to solution Solved by Alaskan_Son,

I am having trouble with the materials list in the siding category. It will only show 4" wide no matter what material I have selected on the exterior wall type.. I even opened the wall from the list and its shows the siding I selected, but the list always says 4" wide. I opened the wall and changed the material there, I didn't just paint it on from an elevation.

Does anyone know where it gets its information from? There must be a setting I am missing? 

image.thumb.png.deecb804d9a2e2398268d0828f326fba.png

• Solution

Select your wall and open its dialog.  Click on the Components tab.  The top item on that list of Components should be your siding material.  This is where the Materials List is getting its information from.  You can make various modifications right there on the Components tab, but assuming you haven't and that you're just letting Chief do its thing:

Now click on the Wall Type tab, take mental note of the Wall Type that's currently selected, and then click on the Define tab.  This is where your automated Components are getting their information from.  You should be setting your walls to use the proper wall type, and you should be properly defining your walls (ideally in your default settings and before you even draw them).  

It sounds like what you've done is simply changed the Material on the Materials tab.  What you really need to do is change the actual wall definition.  At this point, you'll also need to fix your walls so that they reference the proper material by clicking on that Material tab, selecting that Exterior Surface, and then clicking on the little Use Default checkbox down at the bottom of the Library Browser. 

Quick Tip:  You can also use the spray can (Material Painter) tool in 3D to return materials to their default state.  Just click on the Material Painter tool, check the same Use Default checkbox mentioned above or select Use Default from the Plan Materials, and then click on the wall to return that surface to its default state.

That did it!

Thank you

So many new defaults to learn. Now it makes sense where this one comes from. 

I need to just buy a nice clean default residential plan and layout template from someone and make my life easier. :) 

I have wasted weeks and still don't have anything worth using.