cad details in plan view not layout

rnmbj1906

I had another post question and inside that question it was mentioned a better method to handling cad details would be to place them in the plan rather than layout. 

FWIW it's good practice to put CAD details on a CAD detail page (find in your project browser) I stick to keeping them in CAD detail pages in plan. You can also place them in a CAD detail page in layout but scaling is more of a PIA in that case IMO."  (thank you for the tip!)

I just don't completely understand this process.  I find it can make my life more difficult to assume.

Do I inside the plan choose working plan view from the top menu.  Then choose CAD detail set on the layer sets.  Then grab the details from library.  I am really sketchy about working between views.  I seem to use the upper menu of plan views and the right layers view interchangeably and it is a bit confusing.

I thought I understood how to work with the layout, because I am just using a layout template and placing the autocad details inside the template. The resizing and editing is a bit of a pain, but it is all I know and understand.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

It kind of depends on how many cad details you intend to work with.  Some people have a dedicated plan file just for cad details and organize them by floor level.

Plan files also have cad detail pages for all kinds of 2D information that have a separate index system in the drop down of the Project Browser.

image.thumb.png.46a719bd0b49dc57b0753e01d6d1999c.png

You might want to spend some of your free time watching some of the instructional video's before you develop any bad habits.  It will also help you learn some of the Chief terminology.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/

Also we can help you out a bit better if we know a bit more about the system you are running and the version you are using at a glance.  You can add this to your signature.

• Upvote 1

I will work on the signature.  Version 14.  

I just recently bought a new computer.  I verified with Chief support before purchasing. I don't remember spec's right at the moment.

I have watched so many videos and enjoyed most of them.  I am amazed at how well they are put together.  That is the only reason I have gotten as far as I have.  Unfortunately, I am on a terrible time crunch and the project is really simple so I just decided to hurry and put together my plans. I know they are ugly by most architects standards, but I think they provide the necessary data.

I found the library with the CAD details.  I am confused if you do separate pages inside the plans do you just clear all layers so it is blank?

Maybe I can find the video on using the CAD details.

Thank you,

1 hour ago, rnmbj1906 said:

I found the library with the CAD details.  I am confused if you do separate pages inside the plans do you just clear all layers so it is blank?

Maybe I can find the video on using the CAD details.

No that is the nice thing about Cad Detail pages,   every time you open a new one you start fresh with a blank page.  They are not connected to the plan views.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5477/adding-cad-details.html?playlist=97

• Like 1