Interesting Wall Dimensioning Issue from the Past, If You're Bored

Chrisb222

It's darned cold outside so I've been bored and reading the old forum just for kicks, and came across something I found interesting. An old post by @Archnot-Boltz complaining (nahh!) about a rounding problem that ended up being caused by the housewrap layer in the OOB wall definition for Brick-4. Doug Park commented that "The issue is that the wall as was submitted had it's main layer off grid and was not exactly the thickness as was expected, 9.51" if my memory serves." So I downloaded the file (it's still there) and went into the wall specs, and the wall showed a thickness of 9-1/2" but when I switched the Number Style to decimal inches, it showed as 9.51" just as Doug said, but then when I went into the Wall Type Definition, the Housewrap layer showed as .01" instead of 0 as was expected. I thought the "as was submitted" comment was odd since the wall was not the "wrong" thickness, it was the thickness set by the software.

(Another really odd thing is that when you change the Number Style back to fractions, then back to decimal, WITHOUT changing the housewrap thickness, close the Wall Type DBX, and reopen it, the housewrap layer now shows as 0.00", and the General panel wall thickness shows as 9.5")

So I got curious to see if the same thing happens with a new plan using the X14 OOB residential template and Brick-4 wall. I didn't try any other wall types or mess around with it anymore, but sure enough, that 0 thickness house wrap layer becomes .01" when displaying decimal inches, and the wall thickness is 9.51"... AND the .01 goes away if you flip back to fractions, then back to decimal ...... after all these years. Anyhoo, I just thought it was interesting.

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread.php?56475-Dimension-Glitch-or-Wrong-Default-Setting

And no, there is no question here, which means it should probably be in Chat, but I assume most users never read anything but Q&A and this might be an issue for someone else someday.