Dimensions

HM_Solutions

In Autocad you can add scaled dimensions in Layout. It would be great if there was a way to set the scale for dimensions in layouts. I have to add several dimension details to a bathroom plan view, as the client wants to avoid cut tile. There will be a few close up views in the layout, that will have short dimensions shown. These then show up on the large layout view. Unless I put each group on a different layer, and turn layers on and off. It would be much easier to just add the dimensions in Layout view.

Dimensions can't be scaled in Chief. They are always drawn at actual scale so on a layout they will be in paper coordinates instead of plan coordinates.  If you want the ability to scale them, then you should put in a feature request but my guess is that they probably won't make this a high priority.  My recommendation is that you forget about what autocad can do and learn how to do it the Chief way. In the long run, I think you will find it is actually much more efficient.  

In Chief, you should put all of your dimensions in your plan.  If you want some to appear in some views, but not others, you can control this through layers and layer sets.  You can also control this using your dimension defaults and can save all of your active defaults for any view you want so this can become fairly automatic.  In your bathroom case, you could set up a saved bathroom view with bathroom dimension defaults that will go on a bathroom dimension layer.  Once this is setup, ideally in your template plan, then all of this can be very easy to use.

More info about using dimensions can be found in these training videos:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/92/dimensions.html

I also highly recommend this video series that covers saved plan views and active defaults:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/100/saved-plan-views-layers-annotations.html

Good luck and welcome to Chief.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1