How to show foundations in pony walls?

dvogel1

Hi. Please see the attached plan and images. I have two areas where I am using pony walls to show exterior walls that are a mixture of wood framing and concrete.

In one case (floor 0, back of the house) the wall type is Siding-6 and "Foundation Wall" is checked. The lower part of the pony wall is foundation. This is done to save money on concrete.

In the other case (floor 1, front of house) the wall type is Siding-6 with a concrete pony wall. The concrete is 36 inches above the top of the foundation wall because soil will be in contact with the wall.

I would like to know how to show the foundation in 3D with all of the concrete visible, but not the framed walls. Maybe there is a better way to set up these walls...

Thanks in advance.

I'm using CA X14. The plan was migrated from Home Designer Pro and then CA X13.

Floor 0, back.jpg

Floor 1, front.jpg

154 STC CA 18July22 Garage.zip

4 hours ago, dvogel1 said:

I would like to know how to show the foundation in 3D with all of the concrete visible, but not the framed walls. Maybe there is a better way to set up these walls...

You'll find that is more difficult than it is worth. There are a couple of options:

• You can separate the pony walls into 2 different walls, one of which will need to be set to "No Room Definition". That will allow the 2 walls to exist in the same space. Then you can place each wall on their own layer (Walls, Normal for the framed wall, and Walls, Foundation for the concrete wall).
  • Another method is to build a separate floor level just for the concrete foundation walls.

17 hours ago, robdyck said:
  • You can separate the pony walls into 2 different walls, one of which will need to be set to "No Room Definition". That will allow the 2 walls to exist in the same space. Then you can place each wall on their own layer (Walls, Normal for the framed wall, and Walls, Foundation for the concrete wall).

Thanks for your help.

This method works, with the normal amount of unusual results. I'm not sure how to get the corners of the footings to intersect. That is, there is an unpredictable gap in the footing at some corners. It seemed for a moment that setting one of the foundation walls to "No Locate" worked, but the next time I opened/closed the wall dialog the corner went missing again. (Update: There is clearly a bug here because the footings fill out every other time I open/close the dialog. In fact, the missing footing shifts from one end of the wall to the other.)

One downside to this method where the wider concrete wall defines the room is that the intersecting interior walls don't join with the upper, exterior framed walls. And, because the foundation wall height is truncated (36" in this case) the height of windows need to be offset by that amount. Maybe that will change as I experiment.