Need Help converting all or some of RoomSketcher floorplan to Home Designer Architect

HNRSoftware

Hi - I am not adapting quickly to HD design interface and would like to spend a hundred or two dollars to get the basic structure (at least exterior walls and a few interior walls) into HD before starting design work - mainly on landscape.  As far as I can tell, RoomSketcher doesn't give me much exporting capability.  Attached is a main and upper floor jpg files from their system..

I am most interested in getting the project started correctly.  After viewing videos on how to trace an existing floorplan, (I think) I have discovered that the "Architect" level doesn't have the proper image resizing button.  I'm tired of fighting the startup process.  If a couple of hundred dollars can get me going, it would be worth it.

RoomSketcher has a built-in contracting option to do essentially this job for less than $100, and it came out fine to get started there.  I have no idea if this is the right direction to get started here.

Thanks for looking.

Howard Richoux

16770 S Kraeft Rd 2022 - Main - 2D Floor Plan L.jpg

16770 S Kraeft Rd 2022 - Upper - 2D Floor Plan L.jpg

I would need to know what version of Home Designer Architectural you have so it can be formatted for your software after completion. It would be useful to also know the intended ceiling heights for  the rooms and Architectural style of the home, lot size, topography etc. I am sure once you fill in the blanks, I or others could then help you as you wish.

DJP

Thanks David - v22.3.0.55 - June 20, 2020 --- apparently, my system doesn't have the right graphics card to run the latest version.  Main floor ceilings are 10 foot, upstairs 8 foot.

I mainly just care to get the footprint right and have main and upper floors defined as layers.  I am expecting to learn HD to add in all the detail, but getting started is rough.  Thanks - Howard

Yes, walls are (ought to be) easy.  Yes, I have searched for help, yes, I have watched YouTubes on the subject.  No, it isn't obvious or easy.  For one thing - if the Architect level has the point-to-point imported image resize, I sure can't find it.  Maybe it is a 2 year old version versus the newest one.  Maybe it is Architect versus Pro.  All I am asking here is - is there a HD person with time on his hands that can turn at least parts of the floor plans into a HD project for $100-$200.  If the answer is no, then fine.  If the answer is yes, then let's talk deal.

It is vastly easier to modify a project in any language/environment than it is to start cold with an empty project.  I had to figure out how to measure a line to determine that the grid is 1 foot by 1 foot.  I had to explore the view settings to discover that I had to turn on the scroll bars.  I still haven't figured out how to easily switch back to the selection tool - ought to be something like an escape key or some function key, rather than having to move the mouse up to the tool bar all the time.   Familiarity and experience can mask the obstacles facing a new user.

@solver - I actually have no idea about the protocol of this forum.  I guess I assumed that David would be contacting me, or saying something specific to tell me what my next step would be.  He provides and email and phone and stuff, but does this imply that the next step is mine?  Thank you for your help (and patience)  Howard

My contact info is shared so those who need/want my help can communicate it. If you wish, please email me with the specifics I asked for and I am sure I can swiftly deliver what you need and want based upon your detailed instructions, thank you. Since you did not post your contact data, I assumed you would contact me, since I openly post how to contact me.

DJP

@DavidJPotter  was a great help.  For a few hours of consulting (one of which I wasted by not providing good raw information), he was able to give me precisely what I was looking for - a plan that is a great starting point for my learning process.  Although the ChiefArchitect training videos are great, It helps a great deal to test and exercise them with my personal house design.  I am no computer newbie, but HD is an extremely powerful tool, and it is correspondingly complex.  Just from the plan David provided, I can see dozens or hundreds of places where I might have wandered down unproductive alleys.  I am FAR from familiar with the tools now, but I am making progress.  Thanks David.

• Upvote 1