Boot Camp Help

Darco41

Hey everyone,

I feel like this might be my first post of many as I just downloaded CA yesterday and I've already hit a few snags! I've been following along with the "Boot Camp" video and I cannot get the roof to show up on the front porch. I've included a picture to help explain my issue. I tried to delete the wall, which I believe is being called an attic wall by CA, and the small piece of it remained (on the right). This is probably something simple, but this noob is stuck! :wacko:

Thanks for your help in advanced!

20220707_084925.jpg

Are you using the automatic roof tool to have the program automatically draw your roof planes?

If so, open the room dialogue box, and under the "Structure" tab, in the "Ceiling" section, there is an option for "Roof Over This Room". Check that, and Chief will automatically build your roof. 

If you're not using the automatic roof tool, we would likley need to see your plan file to help diagnose the issue.

4 minutes ago, pitchfork5iron said:

If so, open the room dialogue box, and under the "Structure" tab, in the "Ceiling" section, there is an option for "Roof Over This Room". Check that, and Chief will automatically build your roof. 

This sounds like the solution , though designating a Room a Porch should turn the Roof Over this Room on automatically ( and make the Floor a Slab.)  Deck ( rooms)  on the the other hand don't have roofs by default , but can with the above setting too.

The Blue wall is nothing to worry about , it will disappear when the roof builds ...it is because Chief's Walls are always "looking for" the Roof Plane above and i this case it happens to be the Overhang (eave)

Mick.

1 minute ago, pitchfork5iron said:

Are you using the automatic roof tool to have the program automatically draw your roof planes?

If you're not using the automatic roof tool, we would likley need to see your plan file to help diagnose the issue.

Thank you, Pitchfork! I've been following along with the Chief Architect Boot Camp tutorial and I haven't been able to build the roof over the front porch like in the video (51:00 min mark). I just turned on the automatic roof tool and there's now a roof over it, but it's not quite like the video. I think you have me on the right track now, so thanks again!

4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

This sounds like the solution , though designating a Room a Porch should turn the Roof Over this Room on automatically ( and make the Floor a Slab.)  Deck ( rooms)  on the the other hand don't have roofs by default , but can with the above setting too.

The Blue wall is nothing to worry about , it will disappear when the roof builds ...it is because Chief's Walls are always "looking for" the Roof Plane above and i this case it happens to be the Overhang (eave)

Mick.

Awesome, thanks Mick!  I understand that this forum is meant for the more difficult problems, and I will continue to try to utilize all of the videos that CA has to offer, so I'm not tying you guys up. Just know I really do appreciate the help. My transition from CAD LT 2013 to CA X14 will be a lot smoother with people like you and Pitchfork around to help. 

5 minutes ago, Darco41 said:

Awesome, thanks Mick!  I understand that this forum is meant for the more difficult problems, and I will continue to try to utilize all of the videos that CA has to offer, so I'm not tying you guys up. Just know I really do appreciate the help. My transition from CAD LT 2013 to CA X14 will be a lot smoother with people like you and Pitchfork around to help. 

Always happy to help, everyone was once where you are, and the Community here is really helpful, keeping reading Questions here everyday, you'll learn a lot that is not in the Manual ( all the handy little User Tips )  and it not quite as dry as the Manual either :)

Mick.

17 minutes ago, Darco41 said:

Thank you, Pitchfork! I've been following along with the Chief Architect Boot Camp tutorial and I haven't been able to build the roof over the front porch like in the video (51:00 min mark). I just turned on the automatic roof tool and there's now a roof over it, but it's not quite like the video. I think you have me on the right track now, so thanks again!

If you open up each wall individually, you can adjust how the roof reacts to it, for example: hip, gable, etc.

12 minutes ago, Darco41 said:

This forum is for any help, in my opinion. I've said it before and I'll say it again. One persons "simple problem" may be the next persons monumental issue. I don't think you should ever hesitate to ask questions. That's what a forum is for.

There are Roof Basics KB ( KnowledgeBase) Articles which is always a good place to start for short Tuts. and you can download the PDF too.),

and numerous Videos if you prefer videos

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00758/generating-automatic-hip-and-gable-roofs.html

and 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/95/roofs.html

Mick.

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

There are Roof Basics KB ( KnowledgeBase) Articles which is always a good place to start for short Tuts. and you can download the PDF too.),

and numerous Videos if you prefer videos

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00758/generating-automatic-hip-and-gable-roofs.html

and 

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/playlists/95/roofs.html

Mick.

I'll admit I was a little nervous diving into CA on my own, but so far I've been impressed with the self help library that CA has to offer. I'm hopeful that between the tutorials and you guys I should find my way!