Finished room dimensions and framing dimensions

Jambruins

When I prepare my house plans I typically show dimensions of the finished rooms.  Is there an easy way to create a framing plan showing dimensions to the framing members (without the finished walls) so it is easier for the contractor framing the house?  

Or do I just have to use a different view and redo all the interior dimensions?

Using version x12

9 minutes ago, Jambruins said:

Is there an easy way to create a framing plan showing dimensions to the framing members (without the finished walls) so it is easier for the contractor framing the house?  

This is how Chief dimensions by default....to the Main layer of the wall ie the Framing ....unless you have changed your Dimension Defaults (or wall Definition?)

image.thumb.png.6d08c824bc1530f029c0f4c3d436b00d.png

If you use Auto interior Dimension it maybe set to use Surfaces by Default though ? 

image.thumb.png.5bf180c7e43a6cd4c0dcb1e9763b8b41.png

Mick.

• Upvote 1

I know I can change the setting but I am wondering if there is an easy way to switch between the two.  I use the interior dimension tool to dimension my room showing the finished dimension.  I am wondering if there is an option to change existing dimensions to show dimensions to framing instead of the finshed surface.  This way I wouldn't have to manually use the interior dimension tool again for my framing plan. 

8 minutes ago, Jambruins said:

I know I can change the setting but I am wondering if there is an easy way to switch between the two.  I use the interior dimension tool to dimension my room showing the finished dimension.  I am wondering if there is an option to change existing dimensions to show dimensions to framing instead of the finshed surface.  This way I wouldn't have to manually use the interior dimension tool again for my framing plan. 

Yes make sure the two different Dimensions go to different Layers and have your Saved Plans Views (SPV) automatically turn the different layers On and Off, but it just sounds like you may not be using SPVs to your advantage with Framing views etc as the Dims should already be going to different layers?

image.thumb.png.368541bfcf9134c2f5622924af5e0774.pngimage.thumb.png.371d3fcd826c157229e5555b27260ecb.png

M.