I have the privilege of being awarded a 1900s Train Station Conversion in the historic town of Butte, MT.

I have had the entire building and site scanned with Lidar technology and can get some extreme accuracy in measurements, inside and out.

Issue:

I would like to stack two windows, mull them together and use that unit in most of the locations where windows are installed. In all cases there is an exterior concrete sill as there is on many old brick buildings. It is about 9" tall and comes away from the wall 2" and extends beyond the framing of the window by 4" either side. The window is set into the brick wall (13" thick of brick over brick through and through) so there is no window casing.

I am unable to get the Exterior sill to extend down 9" so that I do not have to add a polyline solid to each window. This seems like is should be possible, but I can find no setting for depth (height in the Z direction) of the sill.

Suggestions to keep this simple. I do a lot of historical preservation work up here in Montana, so this will not be the last time I come across this issue as I convert old buildings across the state into 3D models.

The model is in its infancy, but I have included it anyway.

As an aside, in the Project Browser in Cross Sections there is a saved section named Change to 3-12 Pitch as well as a Snipping of the Lidar image of the building showing where this transition occurs.

In plan view, on the north side of the building you can see where this roof is to jog out. I switch between AutoCAD and Chief to get great results, so what are blue lines are an import from AutoCAD. In the Active Layer Display Options, those layer names that are all in CAPS are from AutoCAD. There is also a layer set named AUTOCAD ONLY that isolates the AutoCAD layers.

I have a feeling I am going to have difficulty creating this little roof outcropping, so any tips would certainly be welcome.

Mark Farrar

Certified Professional Building Designer

Knot Square Design, LLC

Photo of Actual Sill.png

Window Sill Settings.png

Lidar Saved Image of 3-12 Pitch Transition.png

As-Built East Bldg.plan

As for the sill profile I believe that you will need to draw the profile to scale for this application and not just grab one from the library.  Unfortunately you won't be able to reproduce that sill contouring with an extruded profile and would need to use a manually placed solid for that if you want to be truly accurate.

Chopsaw,

Thank you for the reply.

If I were to create the profile such that it is 2" deep front to rear and 9" tall in the Z direction, you still do not believe that it will work accurately if I use that new profile in place of the one selected out of the library?

If you have time, would you please let me know a little about why you see it not being accurate.

Again, appreciate your time.

Mark

1 minute ago, KnotSquare said:

If I were to create the profile such that it is 2" deep front to rear and 9" tall in the Z direction, you still do not believe that it will work accurately if I use that new profile in place of the one selected out of the library?

Yes that should work, however in the photo the taper is only in the center and the edges have lips.  If you want to model this accurately it will be more work.

I have quickly built the profile I needed as a 2D object, but cannot find instructions on how to save it to my Sills and Caps Library. It seems to me that if I do this right, it will have some intelligence and attach itself to the window in the proper location.

So I created the profile, saved it and placed it as the sill in the window dialogue. Since this is a 14" thick brick wall through and through, in the Wall Type Definition, I created a 10-1/2" thick brick wall as the entire Main Layer. Outside of that is a 3-1/2" brick wall to allow me to recess the windows as they are in the building.

As can be seen in the attached picture, the Exterior Layers brick wall cuts through the new sill.

I included a new model that has this wall type.

Mark

Concrete Sill Almost.png

As-Built East Bldg.plan

I have a similar situation as I work on high efficiency homes that need a drainage plane. I have had Chief Support looking at this for a week now, but will create another topic in here so show this strange error. I will label it Perfect Wall as the design is conceived around the Perfect Wall System.