Question on exporting views to .dwg

winterdd

Apparently my monthly subscription to AutoCad Lite has been slowly increasing over the past year and nothing is new to justify that. When you call those bozo's they stutter and cannot give you a reason for the increase. So, when you export files from CA to .dwg are they compatible with other drafting softwares? Even the free ones? I keep AutoCad in my back pocket for two reasons, it is quicker for me on my CAD details and other engineers use it for when I forward them files. I know .dwg is .dwg but wanted to see what you guys do?

1 hour ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Apparently my monthly subscription to AutoCad Lite has been slowly increasing over the past year and nothing is new to justify that. When you call those bozo's they stutter and cannot give you a reason for the increase. So, when you export files from CA to .dwg are they compatible with other drafting softwares? Even the free ones? I keep AutoCad in my back pocket for two reasons, it is quicker for me on my CAD details and other engineers use it for when I forward them files. I know .dwg is .dwg but wanted to see what you guys do?

I use chief for ALL drafting but to simply view dwg I use https://viewer.autodesk.com/ the free viewer.

4 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I use chief for ALL drafting but to simply view dwg I use https://viewer.autodesk.com/ the free viewer.

I hear ya man. I guess I am spoiled with Autocad for the 2d details. Been using it since 1996 and are super quick with it. Every time I try and use chief for my Cad details it just slows me down a bit. I have two files in AutoCad I use for all my plans. One file is miscellaneous footing details and the other is strapping/structural details. I do not draw those details every time I create a new plan and just grab what I need. If I am doing this the hard way please let me know because I really would like to steer away from AutoCad all together.

Just now, ChiefUserBigRob said:

I hear ya man. I guess I am spoiled with Autocad for the 2d details. Been using it since 1996 and are super quick with it. Every time I try and use chief for my Cad details it just slows me down a bit. I have two files in AutoCad I use for all my plans. One file is miscellaneous footing details and the other is strapping/structural details. I do not draw those details every time I create a new plan. If I am doing this the hard way please let me know because I really would like to steer away from AutoCad all together.

Ummm.  Have you tried using Cad details and the 2d drawing tools within chief?  They are a lot more capable than most realize.  Also, you have things such as live views that you can setup and use auto detailing, drop a group of annotations on top and adjust things for live views.  Use a warehouse plan with all of your typical cad details on them and send to layout (maybe even have the majority of the common ones already sent on your layout template.)  Pretty quick.

18 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Ummm.  Have you tried using Cad details and the 2d drawing tools within chief?  They are a lot more capable than most realize.  Also, you have things such as live views that you can setup and use auto detailing, drop a group of annotations on top and adjust things for live views.  Use a warehouse plan with all of your typical cad details on them and send to layout (maybe even have the majority of the common ones already sent on your layout template.)  Pretty quick.

I am stuck in my ways but will definetely look into this. I do love the auto detail command for all my elevations and cross sections.