Inner doors and opening indicators

TriDiWorx

Go to solution Solved by JacobB,

Hello!

Can anyone explain a bit how swing indicators work for inner doors and how to display them in a schedule. I mean I know how to turn them on, but I do not get the logic.

In my country we mostly show door or window elevation in a schedule always from the side where the door swings and the marker where two lines meet to arrow point we put on a handle side. So you always know that you are looking at a drawing from the swing side and you imagine opening a door towards yourself. And you know where the handle is (arrow point) so you immediately know is it a right hand door or left hand door.

In Chief there is some weirdness with interior and exterior even for interior doors.

Do I really have to check every single interior door on my schedule and on a plan to be sure that exterior is always the right view to show on a schedule. I do not see a point in this schedule if I cannot be sure that I am looking on a door from the correct side. If I look at my plan then exterior can be the either side of the swinging.

Maybe my brain is cooked from long work day and I do not know what I am saying at the moment, but this opening indicator thing seems not usable to me. Or how do you do it? I mean the swing should be understandable only from a schedule without looking at the plan or model. Right now it seems all over the place for me.

10 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Change it to show the way you want...

image.thumb.png.a31b5b4f139ec31de4af9e373aa363f2.png

Thanks. Did not think to search in plan settings. But this does not change indicators in door schedule. With this toggled then indicators in door edit view show to one side and in schedule show to another. 

And my main problem was the side I am looking at a door on the schedule. Automatic elevation views on a schedule. Can I set that EXTERIOR is always the side where door swings? So I can check "3D EXTERIOR ELEVATION" in schedule to show and this side will be always the swing side. This problem is only with interior doors as there is no exterior, but doors still have this property.

• Solution

Hinged opening indicators point to the hinge or handle side based on the X13 plan setting @joey_martin mentioned. Schedules combine all rows that are identical, excluding the 3D Exterior Elevation, 3D Interior Elevation, and 3D Perspective columns. The image displayed in those columns is an image of one of the objects in the row, even if those objects do not all look the same. Doors have a hinge side (left or right) and a swing side (in or out). The size column displays the hinge side, but there isn't a column that automatically displays the swing side. You can add the swing side information to the door label or object information and include that in the schedule to distinguish between the different hinged doors.

You can look at the attached X12 plan that demonstrates this behavior with three different schedules generated from the same doors. Note that the size column also displays the hinge side and exterior/interior, not hinge side and swing side. Additionally, the hinge side defaults to right but the swing side is determined by which side of the wall you click on when placing the door. There is also a drag behavior that can set the hinge side to left.

OpeningIndicatorsAndSchedules.plan

13 hours ago, JacobB said:

Hinged opening indicators point to the hinge or handle side based on the X13 plan setting @joey_martin mentioned. Schedules combine all rows that are identical, excluding the 3D Exterior Elevation, 3D Interior Elevation, and 3D Perspective columns. The image displayed in those columns is an image of one of the objects in the row, even if those objects do not all look the same. Doors have a hinge side (left or right) and a swing side (in or out). The size column displays the hinge side, but there isn't a column that automatically displays the swing side. You can add the swing side information to the door label or object information and include that in the schedule to distinguish between the different hinged doors.

You can look at the attached X12 plan that demonstrates this behavior with three different schedules generated from the same doors. Note that the size column also displays the hinge side and exterior/interior, not hinge side and swing side. Additionally, the hinge side defaults to right but the swing side is determined by which side of the wall you click on when placing the door. There is also a drag behavior that can set the hinge side to left.

OpeningIndicatorsAndSchedules.plan 3.04 MB · 3 downloads

Ok. Thanks.

It is a bit inconvenient in my opinion. It would be nicer to have an additional option to generate a view from a door that is always on the swing side or opposite. This way you do not have to be so diligent about placing every interior door. 

If I want to make a schedule that is understandable in my country and as most of the designers do them here I will have to go through every door on my schedule and compare them on a plan and set my schedule up how I need it to be. So manual labour then :). Or I need to put in a proper instruction on how to read this schedule.

• 2 months later...

If you remember, the program used to come with a video course several days long and a 1000-page manual book. The reason is simple: Chief Architect builds the framework with mistakes. Only a person with his own hands and thinking head can fix them. The program can't choose the cross-section and pitch of beams, joists, and rafters. It works in pre-filled mode. As you set it, it will look like a frame. The program isn't able to draw in our usual standards. Chief has a Layout application that you have to customize. CA doesn't have a function to export the door design, let's say from the store https://doordesignlab.com/interior-doors.html.