Addition to home

felixfl

Hi - My current home is 40 W X 50 L. It has a basement (ceiling 6 ft) with 3 ft above grade level.

I am planning an addition and want to show the addition alongside the old home. New addition will share the 50 ft side but will be 30 ft wide.

I am also planning a new foundation for the new addition, i.e., not sharing existing wall foundation.

The problem I am encountering is, If I show them as one building -

1. I am unable to show the new addition with 8 inch above grade and old home with 3ft above grade. I want the ceiling of the first floor to be of the same height, which means height of the ceiling of the new addition will be higher as it will be only 8 inch above grade.

2.  I am unable to exclude material of the old house to come with estimate of only new addition. 

finally, I tried to separate the homes out in one drawing with separate foundation, but they somehow are linked all the time, like if I make a foundation change, it affects both home's foundation. Anyways to delink the two houses in the same plan?

thanks,

Felix 

• Downvote 1

You might try learning more about reference displays.

You should create an "as-built" file...save it. Then create a new file for the new plan. In the new plan you can then reference in the "as-built". You can even reference the "as-built" elevations into the new elevations. 

Chief did a video showing this technique; https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5435/using-the-reference-display.html?playlist=100

• Upvote 1