I need to change a portion of the exterior gable walls to a different finish than the rest of the wall

ChiefAmatuerJay

hI all,

I've got a design for a matching garage/barn for the classic Queen Anne Victorian I'm designing. I've attached an image showing the garage. Basically, I want to place a 10" or so blank band right where the gable begins and above the band I want to use cedar shingles with a round bottom edge. On the actual building these would all be different colors. say white for the band and a darker version of the color on the main part of the wall. I hope I've described this clearly enough. I've looked online for answers, but nothing really looked like I want. Anyone have some ideas for this operation?

--

Jay

vvictorian barn.jpg.jpg

This is how I typically do this.

Draw a molding line in plan view where you want the 1"x10" to be.

Open dialog and change it's width to 10" and raise its elevation to say 10' initially.

Switch to camera view, select the molding then raise/lower as needed to get it where you want it to be.

18 minutes ago, ChiefAmatuerJay said:

I'm still fairly new to Chief Architect, so when you say: Draw a molding line in plan view where you want the 1"x10" to be. Are you referring to a specific command to do this, of can I use a simple CAD->Lines->Draw Line? I cannot seem to locate a command to draw a molding.

Just draw a line,  then select it and "Convert to a Molding Polyline".

well, further searching  found this article, which appears to be the first part of what I was asking to do:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00070/adding-a-belly-band-to-a-structure.html

At least the rendering in that article looks correct. I've gotten down to step 2 in that article where it says to click the Make Room Molding Polyline edit button, and it shows a bitmap picture of the command. On my system, I have a convert polyline command on lower left hand menu, but not Make Room Molding Polyline button. I really wish these articles would show where some of the commands they specify are.

22 minutes ago, ChiefAmatuerJay said:

On my system, I have a convert polyline command on lower left hand menu, but not Make Room Molding Polyline button

The commands that are available in the "Edit Toolbar" depend on what item has been selected.  Obviously, the "Make Room Polyline" button will only appear if you've selected a Room.  It can be an interior room or the exterior room (select within about 12" of the exterior wall)

Note, you can also right click on an object to get the context menu (basically the same as the "Edit Toolbar"

Apologies, I thought I already had my signature set, now I'm sure it is. Apparently my version is too old, When I select the exterior room, which i can see is about 1/4" inch around the outside of the garage, I do not have the Make Room Molding Polyline subcommand. How does this signature look anyway?