Curved and straight stairs.

Reinbold

We recently got Chief Architect, and I am starting to redraw some of our other Preliminary plans in CA out of Autocad. I am struggling to draw this stair case. On one, it side follows an ellipse, the other side follows the typical straight walls. This is a remodel on the house, and we don't have a lot of flexibility in where the staircase is, and we can't move the walls around the staircase. Does anybody have any tips on how to accomplish this?

Stapp Stairs.png

Stairs can be set to follow curved walls (including invisible ones) by using the "winders" option.  See picture below.  You cannot draw a true elliptical wall though so you will have to approximate the shape using multiple arcs (or lots of short segments).

I suspect that the combination of the starter tread and the winders at the top will also be tricky to model.  I think for these I would use individual landings since they can pretty much be made any shape you want.

curved stairs.png

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Stairs can be set to follow curved walls (including invisible ones) by using the "winders" option.  See picture below.  You cannot draw a true elliptical wall though so you will have to approximate the shape using multiple arcs (or lots of short segments).

I suspect that the combination of the starter tread and the winders at the top will also be tricky to model.  I think for these I would use individual landings since they can pretty much be made any shape you want.

curved stairs.png

Yeah thank you Dermot.

I didnt think of the winders. I imported the ops picture andI was just trying it using stacked landings.

here are the images.

thank you

thank you

ellipse stair 3.jpg

ellipse stair 4.jpg

ellipse stair.jpg

ellipse stair 1.jpg

• Upvote 1