Displaying fill for polyline solid (or similar) in section view

draybin

Go to solution Solved by draybin,

Hi, 

I would like to create a condition where a cross-section shows the fill for a polyline solid.

Why do I want to do this?

I'm creating a plan for a sound proof (as much as practicable) home theatre and would like to replicate this condition in the plan:

image.thumb.jpeg.076afd7a954505da87ffdff141bf9ec4.jpeg

I've been able to do it using the following method, but it has some drawbacks

* the space above the theatre is comprised of attic space and a bedroom

* I've created a ceiling plane in the theatre that is at the height of the bottom ceiling joist

* This ceiling structure consists of clips, hat channel, and two layers of plasterboard with green-glue inbetween (as per picture)

* Above the joists (which is attic space) I was unable to simply just create a floor. This is because the theatre is below both a bedroom and attic space, and the bedroom has a different floor height compared to what the attic would need to be. It all got very confusing for both me and the program...

* To create the "floor" above the joists I decided to use a polyline solid which seemed to work...

* In-between the joists, attached to the underside of the floor are two more layers of gyprocks with green glue in-between

* I manually drew all of these layers using polyline solids and carefully placed them where they needed to go between each joist

After completing this process, I took a section view and noticed that when I auto-detail it showed the in-fill of the ceiling layers correctly (below the joists) but where I had manually placed everything as polyline solids I only got a CAD outline.

Thinking about why this is, I deduced this is because the ceiling (and floor/walls) allow you to specify the structure, which includes for each structural layer, a fill to use. This fill is what's displayed in a section view. However, when you just create a polyline solid you just select a material, and I cannot see any way of having the material's fill appearing in a section view.

This resulted in a weird looking section where some plasterboard was correctly detailed and filled, and some wasn't. To avoid confusion I wanted to have it all "fill" in a section view.

Next I replaced all my manual polyline solids with ceiling planes:

* a new ceiling plane to represent the "floor" above the ceiling joists with one layer of OSB

* another new ceiling plane which conists of the plasterboard + green glue which I carefully placed between each joist

While this creates the desired condition in a section view, I think it's stuffing up my framing generation. Also, having so many ceiling planes all layered on top of each other feels very cumbersome.

I feel there must be a simple way to achieve my desired outcome but cannot find any way to do it!!

I've tried to manually create the false floor and plasterboard sandwiches using polyline solids, 3d boxes, slabs... I just don't know what to try next! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Adrian

Thanks for your suggestion Solver, unfortunately your suggestion did not resolve my problem.

As a test I did the following:

1. created a simple room and added a polyline solid

2. copied the supplied concrete material to the user library

3. edited the concrete in user library to include a test colour and pattern

4. changed the polyline solid material to my test concrete

image.thumb.png.158cdd6b1f50788f4a0a34b9ab246c1a.png

The elevation view shows the pattern as expected:

image.thumb.png.037ca40b3d18df07f1d6f58fce3a7102.png

Taking a back clipped cross section through the middle results in no fill pattern on the polyline solid when I auto detail:

image.thumb.png.278747ce7223f3cdbcff0db65b10cfc5.png

If I create a ceiling plane as a test with two structural layers as follows I get a different result:

image.thumb.png.cea1b51782cc94da9a88b9bfbc7dc5cf.png

After I auto-detail the section, I have the desired fill condition:

image.thumb.png.c2b0e0bbc5b76f250b55c596c49d0ea8.png

I don't really want to use a ceiling plane every time I want to have a section that contains a filled area when cut--however I cannot think of any other way!

I'm open to suggestions :)

Adrian

4 hours ago, draybin said:

I'm open to suggestions :)

Adrian

You can use the slab tools to create the drywall / layers between the joist top chords. They'll fill as concrete in section view.

You can add the metal channel and drywall layers to the ceiling finish definition for the room below. Set their fills in the ceiling finish dialog.

Use a dashed cad line to represent the green glue in cad details.

• Solution

Thanks to those who replied. I ended up just continuing to use ceiling planes as this gave me the most control with respect to individual layers and appearance in cross-sections. To stop these messing with framing I just selected the option to retain roof framing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1