user defined stacked fractions

KellySantaRosa

5 minutes ago, KellySantaRosa said:

when composing notes with uncommon fractions such as 1-3/8" is there a way to insert "3/8" as a stacked fraction? Is there a way to define a macro for custom stacked fractions?

This is possible using custom macros, however, depending on the font you're using, the results are typically pretty ugly.  The only way to do this in Chief requires using not only custom macros but also a custom font.  Anyway, its usable for a lot of things but not for actual dimension strings. 

It all depends on how valuable your time is, how quickly you want to learn, and on exactly what you really need to learn.  If you have a coupe years you can glean tips here on the forum, read up on Ruby scripting, and spend many MANY hours practicing.  If your time is valuable and you want to take a notable shortcut, you can hire someone to coach you through some of the basics.  I offer this type of service and there may be others as well but I can't attest to that.  You can also do what a lot of people do and just learn the very basic basics and just have someone write any more complicated macros for you.  Just shoot me over an email if you would like to discuss further.

For what it's worth, there are some fonts that wouldn't require a custom font at all like Arial....

1-3⁄8"

In fact, so long as you're using the, in a Rich Text box they wouldn't require a custom macro either.  Just copy and paste this following character into any desired Rich text box, arrow back to type in the numerator, and then arrow forward to type in the denominator...

P.S.  You can also use a simple online tool to copy and paste from but again, the results may or may not be so desirable depending on the font....

https://lights0123.com/fractions/

Anything beyond that would require custom macros and possibly customized fonts.