Loft in an unfinished garage in X13

ADallas

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

I have a model of a basic 20 x 20 garage on a slab with a hip roof. I was able to get the plate at 9' 4" by saying that's where I wanted the ceiling that I then said I didn't want. So far, so good.

image.thumb.png.64470324be28021d7de444f2de5b2549.pngI can't seem to make the right set of incantations to create a loft space. The loft is framed with 2x6 at 16", plywood above, gyp. bd. ceiling below. The ceiling is 7' 4" from the ground.

I used a basic interior wall to create the loft, planning to make the wall invisible later. The Loft "room" has a ceiling height of 7'4", and Roof Over This Room and Flat Ceiling Over This Room are checked. The wall's Ceiling Platform is set to Automatic. 

image.thumb.png.07c4126f641fab5ebac164effa0a7360.pngThis is what happens when I uncheck "Roof Over This Room." It automatically unchecks "Flat Ceiling Over This Room."

If I leave "Roof Over This Room" checked, but uncheck "Flat Ceiling Over This Room," I get a similar effect, except that the curtain above the plate line doesn't have gyp. bd. on both sides.

image.thumb.png.b7458099c6f3fd11b80bbd70917db2ec.pngI am able to make the wall invisible and insert a 4x6 post, but I still have the weird curtain above.

My next run at this problem will be to create a second floor level with some odd wall heights. I'll post a reply if that gets somewhere.

Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

• Solution

The KnowledgeBase (KB) is always a good place to start , for short Tutorials on any Issue or questions you may have,

even if the exact situation is not there, it may point you in the right Direction to get started.....

I think this is what you are attempting in an Existing Building.........

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03012/creating-a-storage-loft-in-a-larger-room.html

M.

• Upvote 1

Actually, it turns out that I didn't want a loft--a floor level above the main floor but under the same roof. I wanted a "shelf ceiling"--a ceiling under the main room's plate line, like a plant shelf over a closet.

A shelf ceiling is described here: Creating a Room with a Short Ceiling or Plant Shelf Closet Effect (chiefarchitect.com)

Garage Loft.jpg