Best X13 Features -

Joe_Carrick

7 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

For Polylines I would really like to have 2 separate labels.  This would be particularly useful for displaying x-size and y-size.  But then those attributes would need to be available.  ;)

I'm really thinking about "Intelligent Roof Pitch Polylines".  Similar to those I posted in the "Content and Symbols" forum  --- but even better.

Away from my computer now, but the best I’ve personally been able to come up with for “smart”/somewhat automated pitch markers is essentially built like this (adjust as necessary for scale and personal preferences):

• Use a right triangle for the pitch marker itself 
  • For the purposes of this example and to create the marker for a 6/12 pitch, the top/horizontal edge of the triangle should be 24” long and the side/vertical leg should be 12” long.
  • to create the automated numeric labels, I use 2 single segment polylines along with their labels. One of the easiest ways to create these it to simply draw a line, place a break in that line, and then click the Simplify Polyline tool.  One polyline is vertical and one polyline is horizontal.
  • Each of the 2 single segment polylines should have an arrow sized to zero on both ends, each should have its own unique arrow style to keep the 2 polylines from accidentally combining.  
  • Each of the 2 single segment polylines should have %(perimeter/2).round% in the label and each label should be offset appropriately. I have mine set to something like a 6” text height and an 8” offset from the line.
  • The vertical polyline with arrows should be connected to both ends of the vertical triangle leg and the horizontal polyline with arrows should be connected to both ends of the horizontal triangle leg.
  • The top edge of the triangle should never change length unless you want to change the scale (and if so, you’ll want to change the macros to suit).
  • To adjust your pitch marker either select the vertical leg and set its height to double your pitch, OR make the diagonal leg perpendicular to your roof plane.
  • If you are going to use the Make Parallel/Perpendicular tool, it’s important that you select the diagonal line on the upper half of the line.  If you select the line on the lower half then the top edge length will adjust (not what you probably want).
  • You can block and store in your library, but the labels don’t properly remember their offsets when placed in new plans.  You’re better off placing one in each of your template plan cameras and then copying/pasting as desired. 

EDIT:  Back at my computer.   Here's a quick demo...

2060087177_PitchExample.thumb.gif.33c9bf87667ffdbb3afb53c1e6b9971c.gif

P.S. None of this is new to X13.  It just came up in the conversation so I figured I'd share.