How do I make a pillar on top of wall like this?

mgianzero

This pool has pillars all around that jut from the walls in several places like in this pic. 

IMG_0041.thumb.JPG.af36bf468e57a64cb51010a315bca1b0.JPG

You can't see below water, but the pillars (columns) don't extend to the bottom of the pool but taper inwards to the pool walls. 

I've played with different ways of doing this.  First I made a countertop with molding to give the cap effect.  But then I don't know how to carry the tile striping pattern across it. 

Here's my attempt:

Pillars.thumb.jpg.9cf560a1811b5b37b06ed130ce17ab73.jpg

The other method is to make the tile continuous, using the same wall that protrudes a bit from rest of pool.  But I don't want this pillar to extend all the way to the bottom of pool.

I'm guessing there's some way to create a 3D solid and paint it with various materials to get this effect.  Just not sure the best way to do this.

15 hours ago, solver said:

Yes Eric I know about the concept of making 3D solids and I'm guessing that is the way to create these types of features.  But that is not entirely my question here.

I having trouble determining how to add the color and textures of these tiles.  I know you can paint a 3D solid a single material, but the only way I know how to easily place a line of tiles (such as in my picture) on a surface is use "wall covering" for a wall structure.  But this is not a wall.  Remember, I only want to paint part of the object with a blue tile, and the rest with something else.  I tried using something like "backsplash" but again, that doesn't seem to work on a 3D solid.

Marc