Octagonal Stairs

birchmore

I have an octagonal shaped room (silo, 3 stories tall) and I need to build a stair case along the outer wall, following the shape of the octagon, with winders in the corners. What is the best way to go about doing this? I can't seem to figure out how to get the angles correct, the railings to work, get it to create winders on the corners, or get it tight to the wall.

Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 2.16.21 PM.png

I would also add that what you have done, at a glance is not workable. I have done lots of stairs but not exactly what you are now trying to do. You need to reduce the number of treads between winders so they geometrically fit together more symmetrically. You have set yourself a difficult task but I believe it is doable. Laying out with CAD as Eric has suggested will tend to show you what they should look like to use as a guide to edit the actual stair objects. This will have to be precisely done in order to control the winders. I think if I were to attempt this, I would NOT use the automatic winders but just make all of my winders manually and manually set their heights (I can control what I do manually but auto-winders are not precisely controllable).

DJP