StructEng58

New Wall Against Existing

Hello All, 

I am working on a project, which its an addition to a service garage with an apartment above. The problem that I am having is that I need a new wall against an existing in order not to see a hole in the area of the existing wall. As you can see in the image of the second floor plan below where I circled it is where I need to add another wall. 

991529617_Inked2NDFloor_LI.thumb.jpg.fa66a5cf21788e3876ad6d25582e0b7d.jpg

As you can see from my front elevation. I have a hole in the area where there is no wall. 

Elevation.thumb.jpg.923ac4fb1018f37f212e7e47cd77b942.jpg

I have attached a back-up of plan to this email for reference also. I am open to other suggestions on how to fix this issue. 

Thank you in advance for the help. 

Chris 

RB Garage.zip

2 minutes ago, StructEng58 said:

is where I need to add another wall. 

What's stopping you?

26 minutes ago, solver said:

What's stopping you?

If I drag the "green" wall shown in front of the existing wall. Chief is deleting the existing wall and I don't want that. 

Chris 

Does the green wall intrude on the space of the existing wall?

Try drawing a wall in the hallway, then drag (or use dimensions etc) it against the existing wall.

13 hours ago, StructEng58 said:

As you can see in the image of the second floor plan below where I circled it is where I need to add another wall. 

Try marking the New Wall as a Furred Wall on the Structure Tab 

Chief also calls them "Marriage Walls" ...or used too... normally used in Duplexes etc as Fire Walls.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00925/using-marriage-walls.html

M.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Try marking the New Wall as a Furred Wall on the Structure Tab 

Chief also calls them "Marriage Walls" ...or used too... normally used in Duplexes etc as Fire Walls.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00925/using-marriage-walls.html

M.

Thank you very much. The furred wall method worked for me. 

Chris 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Emileen
    Newest Member
    Emileen

• By hamedDesighn
      How to fix wall length Or lock the wall dimention so they don't change .
      i would be thankful if somebody help .

• By TCDLLC
      Hi, I am a Revit user converting to Chief. 
      When working with angled walls in Chief, I have not been able to lock a wall from moving when changing dimensions on connecting walls. 
      I am familiar with how to use the directional tools to move an end of an object to adjust its dimensions.
      When angled walls are off-angle, I can waste significant time adjusting the lengths of the angled walls and still not achieve the dimensions I need for all connecting walls.

The use case scenario is when I am drafting a plan using dimensions provided to me to create the build.  
      Of course, if I was creating a plan from scratch, I could probably avoid this situation.  

Any suggestions?
    • By MichaelaS
      The wall shown is on the same plane with a false gable roof above only a portion. The wall from the interior will reflect the same ceiling height as the rest of the home, but from the front elevation I would like the wall to be taller to move my gable up. How can this be done in CA as the wall heights are dictated by the room's ceiling height?

• By Designer100
      Does anyone know ho fix issues I have on this commercial remodeling addition?
      1) Windows and bar cabinets are not against the wall!
      2) wall is not showing on full camera looking back toward where it attaches to the existing building. Wall existing is brick on inside, unless I decide to cover it with gypsum bd!
      3) I have a 10 ft. plate with 9 ft dropped ceiling 2 ft x 4 ft acoustic tile in new addition.

x12 

Newell Cheatham 
    • By KirkHodgson
      I'm looking to make my retaing wall larger than the terrain heights.
      In the instructions in this page, https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00652/changing-the-height-of-a-retaining-wall.html
      I did all the steps, but the last point. In section/elevation, when I try to click the retaining walls, nothing happens. I don't get boxes or any selection at all.
      What is happening that I can't make this selection?
      I want to make my wall 6" above the grade/terrain elevation, and I want to drop the foundation of the wall by 24". How do I do this?

Please assist.
      Thank you.