Wall Legend - X11

Joe_Carrick

I like the new Wall Schedule in X11 - but I usually want more than just the simple description that provides.

So, I created a custom macro that utilizes the wall layers attributes that are new in X11.  In addition, I used the Wall display Layer Name to show the Type (Exterior/Interior) and the insulation value.  There's a lot of new information available this way.  

Wall Legend.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I found 2 attributes that are not getting any data.

1. lower_insulation
  2. upper_insulation

I reported this and asked that the oversight be fixed.  The data is available in the Wall Type dbx but it just isn't being picked up in the wall attributes.

Its not an oversight Joe.  You will only get that data to show up if the wall is part of a defined room set to be conditioned.

Here's what's reported when the wall is part of a conditioned room:

> owner.upper_insulation

=> #<NVPublisherOwner:0x0001f445f1e678 @names=["area", "width", "depth", "length", "formatted_size", "num_batts", "owner"]>

> owner.upper_insulation.formatted_size

=> "6x16x93\" batts"

But the  actual cavity R-value is 21.0

In any event, why shouldn't the data be a part of the wall even if it is just a short segment in a wall legend?

4 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Here's what's reported when the wall is part of a conditioned room:

> owner.upper_insulation

=> #<NVPublisherOwner:0x0001f445f1e678 @names=["area", "width", "depth", "length", "formatted_size", "num_batts", "owner"]>

> owner.upper_insulation.formatted_size

=> "6x16x93\" batts"

But the  actual cavity R-value is 21.0

In any event, why shouldn't the data be a part of the wall even if it is just a short segment in a wall legend?

So what you're really after is the R-value for the wall type.  Is that correct?  If so, I think we just need to request an additional attribute for that. 

14 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

So what you're really after is the R-value for the wall type.  Is that correct?  If so, I think we just need to request an additional attribute for that. 

That's correct but it's what I assumed would be in that data.  Apparently they only provide it for material take-off.  

There are times when I provide an insulated wall even though the space is not going to be conditioned initially.  The attribute should be a part of the Wall Type regardless of where it's located in the plan.

BTW, R-value is much more important than the thickness.  You could have a very different R-values depending on the material so thickness without the R-value is worthless.