CARMELHILL

Nividia RTX 2080 Ti cards failing - defective

This isn't really Chief software related, so this thread might belong in the Chat section, but...

The new Ray Tracing Video cards from Nvidia, the Geforce RTX 2080 Ti, is failing for lots of users. And the replacements sent from Nvidia are failing too. It's affecting some of the 3rd party cards too.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-cards-dying/

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3065361/nvidias-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-cards-are-reportedly-failing-in-high-numbers

This is why buying bleeding edge technology is so risky.  My 1060 works just fine, and has never bottlenecked my productivity or shown signs of instability.  And 1080 cards have seen a significant price drop over the last few months.  Not to mention the new groundbreaking features of the 20xx cards don't habe much support from software developers.  I've watched a few reviews on youtube that suggest the release of this card was really rushed.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JoeDes
    Newest Member
    JoeDes

• By JBHammer
      Hello,
      I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a video card that works well with X10 and Windows 7? My old card (AMD 7570) is no longer supported by AMD, and 3D views that looked great in X9 look terrible in X10. Thanks
    • By Westlanedesigns
      I recently had a new desktop built. My video card is a Nvidia GTX 1070. It is an 8GB card. when I look at my message log it says I only have 4GB of ram.

OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 384.76

OpenGL VRam: 4095

OpenGL GPU Count: 1

OpenGL GPU VRam: 4095

OpenGL GPU Driver Name: nvoglv64

OpenGL GPU Driver Date: 6-27-2017

OpenGL GPU Driver Version: 22.21.13.8476

OpenGL GPU Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

OpenGL GPU Device Path: pci\ven_10de&dev_1b81

Here is my system.

Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core i7-6900K

Nvidia GTX 1070

Crucial MX300 275GB SSD

Crucial 4X4GB DDR4 2400 RAM

Anyone have a similar issue? I have Chief X8 and X9 on this system. The message log in both programs say the same thing. If anyone is running Windows 10 Pro with an 8GB card can they have a look at their message log and tell me if you are getting a similar message? This could just be a logging issue.

• By jlfoelker
      Does someone have a video card that works fantastic using Home Design Architectural? Mine meets all the "specs", but will not render any image at all. It appears that this chipset is not supported by the HDA 2018 software. One post says that the chipset drivers need to be 2014 or newer. If that is the case, please put that in the list of system requirements. And a list of good, better, best video cards would be much better than repeating that moronic mantra to "update your drivers". The latest and greatest update on for my drivers is 2010.

• By KayNordby
      Video care error when opening a camera view in X8 of a .plan file created in X7
    • By KTKArch
      Hi All,

Updated my presentation screen to a 65" 4k TV. Note it is not for production, client show & tell only, (and the Superbowl party when the Seahawks get back in it in '17  ). Its attached to a first generation i7 cpu 16 GB system. It has HDMI 2.0 capability so I'm looking for a low cost 4k HDMI 2.0 video card to push the Chief screen images out to it. Since Chief does not use the GPU to render, it doesn't have to be a Titan card. I'm looking at the nVidea 950 and 960 cards as the current lowest cost, single cable (not split screen) cards out there. Since each card has multiple version options has anyone found how well the 2GB vs 4GB, 'low # vs high #" of shaders etc... performance with Chief at 4k resolution? Is HDMI 2.0 still limited to 6' cables? Most of what I've found online is pre 2015. 

Thanks for your input.

Karl