File formats

BigGro

I am a retired designer who used Chief 7.0 for most of my work.  The file format in later versions of Chief Architect are in a new format.  Is there a converter to change my old drawing to function on the latest versions of Chief?

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    AshleyH
    Newest Member
    AshleyH

• By Nicinus
      This seems to be a topic that comes up now and then, but since it is probably version specific I hope no one minds if I bring it up again.

There seems to be different alternatives:

DWG/DXF - this appears to works relatively well but the format doesn't support textures

3DS - doesn't work for me with my model, 3ds Max gives error message 'Improper File Format'

DAE (Collada) - this would be ideal, but Max gives error message that it can't parse the xml/dae file.

I've tried using Sketchup as an intermediate, and it can open the DAE file, which I then export to FBX and into Max, but it obviously a bit cumbersome to have to go that extra step and be dependent on a third program. Given that Sketchup can in fact read the Collada file one would assume the problem lies with Max, but it doesn't even seem to be able to open it.

Is this supposed to work, or is there some form of partial dae/collada support?