Trying to build complicated mansard roof on historic home

katmacphail

Good evening. I am finally giving up and asking for help.  I've watched the videos about automatic generation of mansard roofs, and it doesn't seem to be working in this case.

I am building an as-built model of a mansard roof, three story apartment building.  The steep pitch on the mansard is about 84, and the upper pitch would be about 6. The bay windows on the front continue up to the roof and are also part of the mansard.  I've attached a photo of the house.  I'm attaching the plan which is currently a hot mess.  There is living space on the third floor.  My question is this- can I draw the mansard roof planes manually?  I need the roof to start at the third floor level and then I plan to draw a cornice around the building. Any advice?  I'm using X10.

I'd be willing to pay someone for some lessons.  

Thanks

Katharine

118 Pearl existing.plan

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 8.41.19 PM.png

Yes you can manually draw the roof planes. Make sure before you start that all exterior walls are in correct location. This would be time consuming for a roof expert and a very difficult one for you to learn roofs on. With those dormers you will need to learn to use "hole in roof" process; join roof planes tool; understand fascia and roof baseline heights. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. 

How do I draw the mansard roof planes manually?  I have set the roof type in the walls with an 84" lower pitch and 6" upper pitch, then in build roof I put in the 84 in 12 pitch but there is no upper pitch.  This is my problem.  I'm not totally new to this and can build other complex roofs and have experience with 'hole in roof'.  I can join roof planes.  I guess I will review fascia and roof baseline heights to make sure I understand it. 

Is it possible to draw walls that are not at 90 degrees to the floor?

Katharine

12 minutes ago, solver said:

Eric, That is perfect!   I don't know how to turn off roofs over the other spaces. I tried building the other roofs manually and then asking the program not to rebuild those while I automatically built the mansard but it didn't work. 

Let me make sure I get the sequence:

select the walls and define the upper and lower pitches in the roof dialog. 

turn off the roofs (don't know how to do this)

automatically build just the mansard roof, putting in 84 as the pitch and then building the roof.

Katharine

Eric, you really are a genius.  Thank you.  I don't use the automatic roof generation at all so I didn't even think to turn off the roofs in certain areas through the structure dialog.  Obviously!  I appreciate your help.

katharine