Adding Raytrace to walkthrough

Thank you for the question.  Using raytrace rendering for video walkthroughs are not generally practical.  Since video requires 15+ frames per second, you would need a minimum of 30 raytrace renderings for just 2 seconds of video.  If a raytrace takes 10 minutes (this is a low number) it would take 5 hours or rendering time to create just 2 seconds of video.

The good news is that X10 has a new rendering feature called Physically Based Rendering (PBR).  This new rendering technique is much closer to the quality of raytrace and it is a realtime rendering technique, so it can be used for creating video walkthroughs. Here is an example video using the PBR with a video walkthrough.  Pay special attention starting at :39 seconds into the video and again at 1 minute.  This will give you an idea of the quality that is possible.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/10190/accessible-kitchen-bath-project-walkthrough.html

Kind regards,

Derek

Chief Architect Software

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EmersonGraceD
    Newest Member
    EmersonGraceD

• By stevenyhof
      Is there a way to set a default to turn Ray Trace off when selecting Physically Based. I tried to open the Camera in my template and select Physically Based and turn off Ray Trace and save, but it does not save.

• By nannadajin
      Hello!
      I'm trying to render white high-gloss cabinets but unable to get the correct settings... can anyone advise?
      I am using ray trace in Chief Architect. I tried using the mirror material but when I do that it renders as black. Thank you!
    • By alexpwalsh
      Whenever I try to do a virtual walk through, I get these random flashes of interior wall and roof layers coming through. It happens with both interior and exterior walk throughts. It looks horrible, see the attached example. I've tried turning off all sorts of layers in the camera view - nothing seems to help and I can't find anyone else mentioning this on here so I figure it must be a setting on my end. Also have tried playing with frame rates and rendering options to no avail. Any ideas?

Version: X12 Premier Student

ext_walkthrough5.wmv
    • By pgjacob
      HI All
      I am ray tracing a scene with a 3D plant (from sketchup) and the shadows are showing squares rather than the actual shadow of the plant (1 pass image shown below).  I have purposely moved the sun around to cast shadows to the back of the image as I have found manually manipulating the sun gives much better RTs than using natural sun angles (at least for me).  I attach the skp file and what the plant looks like in the object info window of CA.  Any ideas how to get rid of this square shadow?  I uncheck the ray casted shadows in camera tool pre-ray trace, and it looks better but still ray traces with the square shadow.
      Thanks in advance,
      melissa

Blue Flax Lily.skp
    • By ScottDutcher
      I am having issue with the built in VR viewer, the motion tracking is extremely jumpy and disorienting, It is totally useless for clients as motion sickness sets in with in seconds, I have had to use external programs and they are becoming an encumbering step to the process