Sign in to follow this  
rockywaves

Help creating cathedral ceiling

I need advice on how to create a cathedral ceiling for a great room that has one exterior wall and three interior walls.  The external wall that faces the back patio I want the patio roof to be a gable roof with no flat ceiling.  I want a cathedral ceiling in the great room, but I want the cathedral structure to run 90 degrees perpendicular to the patio cathedral ceiling.  I have have searched the chief talk forum and looked for Youtube videos for solutions, but can't find anything which helps me.  I'm attaching a basic floor plan which illustrates what I see when in the great room with a camera view.

Great room cathedral ceiling CA question.plan

Hi David,

Your demonstration was very useful.  I am using Chief Architect 10.  I can now reproduce what you showed me.  However, I do want the great room ceiling planes to run contrawise to the direction of the patio ceiling planes.   I tried reversing the "great' room planes, and the room wall/ceiling results are not right.  Do you mind building the "great" room ceiling planes contrawise, and showing me how to fix the room wall heights (default 120") and ceilings?

Thanks,

Bob

I fixed by my signature per your request.  I watched David's video again, and found that I was not using the transform/replicate object the same way as he explained.  Everything works fine now.  Thank you, both for your assistance.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChiefPerry
    Newest Member
    ChiefPerry

• By stanlee92218
      Let me start off by saying I am NOT an architect of any sort. My husband and I are building a house and I keep changing the floor plans. I cannot visualize anything on paper and we don't have anyone in our area that does these 3D renderings. I downloaded the trial to give it a shot myself and play around with changes before sending them to our architect. I watched a webinar the other week and I have watched video after video. However, I still cannot get the roof as I need it. I can't get it all connecting with the gable ends on the left and right ends of the house. I haven't been able to figure out how to add the additional window on the 2nd floor in the middle of the house. I know this is a rough sketch and its not all exactly the way our floor plans are, I am just trying to figure out how to get the exterior (mainly the roof) to work out as I have so far had good luck with all of the interior work. Any help and tips are greatly appreciated. 

on our main floor, we have 9' ceilings, cathedral ceiling in the great room that is open above, and 8' ceilings upstairs. 

• By kgcvt453
      I am working on a living room/kitchen where I have added a cathedral ceiling and exposed beams.  I wanted to make the walls higher since the beams can't go above the wall height.  After I adjusted my walls to 12' the molding stayed at the default wall height.  How can I move the molding to match the new wall height?

• By gatsr2
      I am trying do design a new house with 2 floors a cathedral ceiling, a balcony overlooking a great room.

When I go to the second floor and click no ceiling in this room the gable end disappears.  Also when I draw my railings and click in the space I want open and uncheck Floor under this room everything disappears.  It is like I am looking right outside.  

I have watched the online videos and looked everywhere for the answer with no luck.  I should mention I am using Home Designer Pro 2015.

Thank You
    • By gatsr2
      I am trying do design a new house with 2 floors a cathedral ceiling, a balcony overlooking a great room.

When I go to the second floor and click no ceiling in this room the gable end disappears.  Also when I draw my railings and click in the space I want open and uncheck Floor under this room everything disappears.  It is like I am looking right outside.  

I have watched the online videos and looked everywhere for the answer with no luck.  I should mention I am using Home Designer Pro 2015.

Thank You