Soffit recessed spots not level with ground

Michael_Gia

Plan is attached. 

I placed 3 spots in the soffit above the 3 garage doors. 

Chief placed them originally under the plywood of the sloped roof. 

I had to then adjust the height of the spots and angle to get them to sit flush to the soffit. What am I missing? Why doesn’t Chief automatically place them where a soffit/eave spot should be?

Plan:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6qmbb6apn7ur98/Joseph and Johanne test plan.plan?dl=0

FB6226E7-9F63-4444-96F9-9916A97E653E.png

So the solution is to draw a small ceiling plane outside where the eave is and then place your spots on it?

Great fix but I was hoping there was some setting in roofs or wherever to allow a quite common item such as soffit lighting to behave as expected. 

Thanks for the suggestion though, it is a lot easier than fiddling with the light height and angle. 

Ok alternate solution is:

-Open symbol (icon with chair and pencil - bottom toolbar)

- Options tab, chose “floor mounted”

- 3D tab, “Z Position” = finished ceiling height less an inch. (In my case Z = 173.5”)

You can also chose “ceiling mounted” but uncheck “flush mounted” and then enter your ceiling thickness plus an inch for “Z Position” (in my case Z = -7)

21 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

Ok alternate solution is ...

You can also chose “ceiling mounted” but uncheck “flush mounted” and then enter your ceiling thickness plus an inch for “Z Position” (in my case Z = -7)

I use this approach, but here's a twist.  When I initially place the recessed in the soffit, with no flush mount, they end up buried somewhere in the eave, so I add an offset from ceiling (10").  All is good and I save the plan.  I later open that plan only to see the recessed hanging in the air, 10" under the soffit.  So I change the offset to ½" and after that all seems well.  I have seen this behavior on various plans.

Drives me nuts.  Anyone else?